• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

NaNoWriMo 2021

A. E. Lowan

Forum Mom
Leadership
I have actually managed to sprain my left shoulder to the point where it's indescribably painful most of the time. Bloody November. It really is trying to kill me.
And~ it's not a sprain or a pulled muscle. It's a badly pinched nerve in my neck, and now I can't feel my left arm or grip with my left hand. Great googly moogly.

And~ it's not a sprain or a pulled muscle. It's a badly pinched nerve in my neck, and now I can't feel my left arm or grip with my left hand. Great googly moogly.
You really must start skipping November. Just have October and December with 46 days and have a month which must not be named. Or hide in bed underneath a blanket for the whole month (just binge-watch Netflix and order delivery food).

All joking aside, you deserve a virtual hug. I hope it turns out all right and you manage to get it sorted somewhere in the short term. It sounds terrible, not just because of writing, but life in general. Take care of yourself. Hope you get well soon.

A. E. Lowan

Forum Mom
Leadership
You really must start skipping November. Just have October and December with 46 days and have a month which must not be named. Or hide in bed underneath a blanket for the whole month (just binge-watch Netflix and order delivery food).

All joking aside, you deserve a virtual hug. I hope it turns out all right and you manage to get it sorted somewhere in the short term. It sounds terrible, not just because of writing, but life in general. Take care of yourself. Hope you get well soon.
Thank you. :) There's always an upside, though sometimes it's hard to find. Mine is that now I have a whole new vocabulary for describing pain. "Stunning" is a favorite. Should come in handy for writing urban fantasy. :D

Thank you. :) There's always an upside, though sometimes it's hard to find. Mine is that now I have a whole new vocabulary for describing pain. "Stunning" is a favorite. Should come in handy for writing urban fantasy. :D
Yeah, writers are funny in that way. The most horrible experiences somehow manage to be the most useful when writing. As I get older I start to understand better what writers mean when they say you have to put something of yourself inside your work. It's not the plot items that need to be personal. It's digging inside yourself for those emotions, that feeling of pain and hopelessness which comes with it. Or the reverse, the triumph you felt at an achievement. If you can get onto a page then that whole plot thing is secondary...

Still, it'd be nice if the pain happened to someone else or just ended after a short while...

SolLilja

Dreamer
I had a pretty good progress until last weekend when I got mild food poisoning... But it took several days to get back to normal energy levels, who are lower than usual anyways now. So I totally lost the momentum I had for writing. Now I'm struggling with getting moving again... getting moving is not easy, neither physically nor mentally, when 8 months pregnant :ROFLMAO:

A. E. Lowan

Forum Mom
Leadership
I had a pretty good progress until last weekend when I got mild food poisoning... But it took several days to get back to normal energy levels, who are lower than usual anyways now. So I totally lost the momentum I had for writing. Now I'm struggling with getting moving again... getting moving is not easy, neither physically nor mentally, when 8 months pregnant :ROFLMAO:
I bet not. Just do the best you can with what you've got. You can regain momentum, but maybe not for a while. There's nothing wrong with taking a break to handle life things. Just don't stop entirely. You can do it in stolen moments and I highly recommend a chest carrier. You absolutely can write while wearing a baby.

And yay, baby! <3

A. E. Lowan

Forum Mom
Leadership
So quite poorly against the NaNoWriMo target but quite well against a normal month. I'm claiming that as a victory. The month's not over so there will be more, but not 23k more. If only there was a National Novella Writing Month...
Funny you should mention that. Camp NaNoWriMo lets you set your own goal, so you can very well have a novella in the works. And don't worry about your word count. That's 27k you didn't have in October. That's a big chunk of writing. Good job!

Slartibartfast

Minstrel
Thanks for the encouragement!

That's 27k you didn't have in October.

It certainly is. That's a win in itself, but I think the big takeaway for me is that I can write at the rate of a novella a month while working two jobs. I didn't actually know I could do that before so taking on (and technically failing) this challenge has shown me that a dozen short books in a year is very achievable. That's an even bigger win for me, and hopefully will lead on to a productive 2022.

ThinkerX

Myth Weaver
not a NaNo project, but currently making a line by line edit pass of 'Empire: Estate.' Goal is to get a line by line edit done of most of the 'Empire' books done by the new year.

A. E. Lowan

Forum Mom
Leadership
not a NaNo project, but currently making a line by line edit pass of 'Empire: Estate.' Goal is to get a line by line edit done of most of the 'Empire' books done by the new year.
Sweetness! That sounds like a great goal. Godspeed! I also got your email, and we'll finally get a chance to take a look as soon as the Yam Sham is over and I get a little breather.

SolLilja

Dreamer
Well, I have put down the digital pen on NaNo for this year. I did wish to finish at 50k, but knew it would be hard to achieve. I was too unprepared, and too pregnant :p But my realistic goal was to beat last years word count, which was 25048 words. I finished now at 25104, so I'm counting that as a win! And now, I will treat myself with a new eBook.

A. E. Lowan

Forum Mom
Leadership
Well, I have put down the digital pen on NaNo for this year. I did wish to finish at 50k, but knew it would be hard to achieve. I was too unprepared, and too pregnant :p But my realistic goal was to beat last years word count, which was 25048 words. I finished now at 25104, so I'm counting that as a win! And now, I will treat myself with a new eBook.
25k is no small cookies, especially going in a bit unprepared. Totally a win. Enjoy your e-book and a good rest. You deserve it! :)

Congrats on getting more words than last year! That's definitely a win in my book :) I am curious now what book you got ;)

I didn't get past 5000 words. Though, in my defence, I only wrote for the last 5 days of November. The rest of the month was releasing a book and plotting the next one... It's not writing but it's still work. Maybe next year.