• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Tinkering Around...

Demesnedenoir

Myth Weaver
Instead of getting writing done, I started tinkering... Bad me. bad. But, I like this concept, even if not for the cover, then for a promotional piece. I was trying to say "here there be pirates" without saying pirates, while keeping it very simple, heh heh.

The+Cont4essa+6x9.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: LAG

LAG

Troubadour
I like the Van-Goghish linework, gives it that oily ethereal feel.

If the bottom text is smaller with the skull and crossbones shifted off-center it might be more impactful. sorta impression I'm getting is staring at someone's knees, the shoulders feel like a more natural focal point. idk, always subjective, shifting it down might make it harder to see the lap's form.

S J Lee

Inkling
Yes indeed pirates! Not bad at all, I can't remember seeing anything quite like it, so I say good. Says "historical fiction/swashbuckling romance" rather than fantasy, no idea if that bothers you....

skip.knox

toujours gai, archie
I like it. Here's a thought : consider using a different texture on the bones. Right now, it all looks the same texture which draws attention to the effect.

If the two differed, the flesh looks withered, in contrast to smooth bones. Or pebbled or cracked or whatever bones.

Steerpike

Felis amatus
I do think of pirates for two reasons:

1) the garb of the figure whose hand we can see: and

2) the skull and crossbones as an iconic pirate symbol.

Whether the majority of readers will take that from it, I don’t know, but I suspect baby will.

Demesnedenoir

Myth Weaver
If skull and crossbones bring romance to mind, I'm concerned about your love life, heh heh.

Yes indeed pirates! Not bad at all, I can't remember seeing anything quite like it, so I say good. Says "historical fiction/swashbuckling romance" rather than fantasy, no idea if that bothers you....

Demesnedenoir

Myth Weaver
The fantasy element is tricky, although I do have a version with "Contessa of Mulstul Ûbar" to maybe denote not of Earth history, But the story is pretty much "low magic". But I'd want to address that when it comes to a pro version of the cover.

Steerpike

Felis amatus
I do think of pirates for two reasons:

1) the garb of the figure whose hand we can see: and

2) the skull and crossbones as an iconic pirate symbol.

Whether the majority of readers will take that from it, I don’t know, but I suspect baby will.

Suspect “many” will, I mean. Just saw the swipe/autocorrect :)