• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Arcane (League of Legends Netflix series)

Devor

Fiery Keeper of the Hat
So I finished Arcane last night, and wow, this is the kind of show I've been wanting to see for ever. There's plenty of fantasy with a serious tone but a shade less dark than Game of Thrones or Witcher, and it feels nothing like anime. It's a story of Vi and her sister Powder, but it grows to encompass the city of Piltover and serves as an origin story for seven or eight League of Legends champions, plus several well-written characters who aren't from the game. Episode 3 is just packed with plot twists.

Has anyone else watched it yet? What did you think?

I've never played League of Legends, or thought much of the game's lore before seeing this show. But they really surpassed anything I could've wanted from a show.

Queshire

Istar
I used to play a lot of LoL. Not that good at it, but fun enough. I've heard a lot about this series and I really should watch it one of these days, though I've also heard that its high quality is a result of giving a show all the money and time it needs to reach that level of quality. As writers we know you don't always have that luxury.

Steerpike

Felis amatus
I watched it and thought it was excellent. I’m looking forward to the next season. The only thing I didn’t care for was
for a show with so much nuance of character I felt the jump from Powder to Jinx was way too exaggerated and the reliance on ‘mental illness’ to explain it seems a little bit lazy at this point, given trends with Harley Quinn, the Joker, etc in media. That was disappointing but not enough to keep me from watching what is otherwise an excellent show.

I got up to the last two episodes and...just quit watching. I don't know why. I think something else caught my eye, and after the detour I didn't feel like going back to finish it.

It was truly excellent to that point, from an objective POV. I think it didn't particularly resonate with me, although I appreciated the craft behind it.