• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Hello all!

Hello everyone,
Nice to meet you, I guess? >XD

So originally, I just wanted to find a place to ask for help with naming things (abilities, powers, skills, etc) - preferably using Latin or Greek, like some descriptive extensions to Pyrokinesis for a character I'm working on.

However, a proper fantasy-based forum of any sort that didn't involve almost nothing but roleplay was hard to find, and so I ended up here. I also am going to be headed the the Reddit > Fantasy, but I've heard Reddit can be shady, so I tried here first.

Anyway, what would be the best forum/subforum to ask things like the aforementioned question?

Thanks for your time, Yeager

pmmg

Myth Weaver
Here is good.

There are other forums that may help, but I cannot say how active that are. I tend to recommend Scribophile and Fantasy-writers.org, but one is more peer review with a forum, and the other is kind of lifeless.

I'd say ask your questions here and see if you get the response you like.

CupofJoe

Myth Weaver
Hail and well-met Yonathan Ylde Yeager
Good to have you here
I'd wander around the the place until you see questions along the lines of what you want to ask and then start there.
In the Mythic Scribes vaults there is a lot of information and collected [ahem] wisdom to be gleaned. Sometimes from the bones but most of the times from the posts.
Leap on in and enjoy!

Here is good.

There are other forums that may help, but I cannot say how active that are. I tend to recommend Scribophile and Fantasy-writers.org, but one is more peer review with a forum, and the other is kind of lifeless.

I'd say ask your questions here and see if you get the response you like.
Oh, I'm sorry if I was unclear, but I didn't mean outside of this forum. What I meant was which sub forum to use, although I guess I did say forum... Sorry about that.

pmmg

Myth Weaver
Brain storming and planning sounds like the right one to me.

Writing discussions as well, I suppose.

I see most references to Pyro(mancy/kinesis) in world building, so I'll take a look around some search results and if nothing answers my question, post there.

I may have come up with a workaround. It wasn't the solution I was looking for, but I realized that I was ignoring one of my own laws of reality which will help me with my issue.
Thank you and sorry for wasting your time!
I'll definitely be hanging around here in the shadows though, plenty of interesting stuff here!

Ankari

Hero Breaker
R/Fantasy (Reddit) is meant for fans to appreciate existing stories and content. They sometimes allow authors to host an AMA (Ask Me Anything), but author engagement is focused on general fandom.

You’ll want to use R/fantasywriters on Reddit. That’s a place I frequent to offer critiques.

As for here, worldbuilding subforum is the best. I see a lot of love for planning and working out the details of a fantasy setting.

by the way, welcome.

R/Fantasy (Reddit) is meant for fans to appreciate existing stories and content. They sometimes allow authors to host an AMA (Ask Me Anything), but author engagement is focused on general fandom.

You’ll want to use R/fantasywriters on Reddit. That’s a place I frequent to offer critiques.

As for here, worldbuilding subforum is the best. I see a lot of love for planning and working out the details of a fantasy setting.

by the way, welcome.
Thanks for the info- and the welcome. I will have to switch reddits then since I already joined r/fantasy, and I tend to be protective and suspicious, so that reddit wont suit me. >XD

Ankari

Hero Breaker
Reddit doesn’t work that way. You can be a member of as many subreddits as you want. Just adhere to the theme of each subreddit and all will be fine.

All public subreddits are viewable by the public. Removing yourself from one subreddit doesn’t shield you from those members.