• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

What's your least creative hobby?

Ban

Troglodytic Trouvère
Article Team
I love running. Just got to look ahead and let your legs do the work. Most creative part of it is figuring out whether to take a left, a right or a forward. Usually the road or trail decides even that for you.

So how about you? What's your least creative hobby?

Bird watching, which given my profession of Parks & Rec means that it's just something I can do to pass time when not going inside my own head and getting creative. I also mostly just actually watch them and don't put them down on the Audubon lists like I should.

CupofJoe

Myth Weaver
I would say swimming. If the pool is empty enough I can roll into a backstroke and just go up and down the lane for what feels like a mile or more but never is. I try and count the distance/lengths, but that usually gets fairly ragged after a while.

It began helping a friend back on the East Coast/Midwest of the US where I grew up. I'd ride along in the truck for company, more because i loved the carnival/amusement park atmosphere than wanting to learn the trade, and I'd help where I could. He was the mechanic, I did any painting, refinishing. The machines I came to love and focus on myself were the old arcade Skee Ball games, personality/love testers and fortune teller machines (the Tom Hanks movie, Big, led a resurgence in their popularity). These had simple enough mechanisms I could repair them myself, resurfacing wood play areas and fixing glitchy counters on the Skee Ball, replacing gears on the internal workings of the fortune teller's and faulty wiring on the personality testers. My grandmother would repair or replace the fortune teller's clothing when needed which, on occasion, became tattered by rodents.

The work fell off as safety inspections (thankfully) caught up with smaller carnivals and a lot of the old rides were forced to be decommissioned. So then we began to salvage the rider cars/pods/boats, refinish and repaint them, and sell them to people for nostalgic installations or even, in some cases, garden decoration. My friend wanted the moving parts for these post apocalyptic sculpture he made, I have a few pics on an old thumb drive somewhere around here of the salvaged restorations but we never took pics of the repaired rides because this was dial up days internet, and no one took pictures of what was considered regular old work to promote themselves. lol

I'm sure I have a few of the swan boats we restored and installed as a garden centerpiece for a reclusive woman in Pennsylvania in the 90's. If I come across them, I'll post them. To this day I wish I'd kept one of the old Skee ball games. We sold enough of them to retro nickel arcades in the 90's. But I'd give anything to have one in my home now. . .

Demesnedenoir

Myth Weaver
People have time for hobbies? Wow. Hmm. I guess if staring blank-brained at the wall—you know, like how dogs will stare at the closet to freak you out—counts as a hobby, then that's mine. It's also part of my writing process, so it does double duty.

People have time for hobbies? Wow. Hmm. I guess if staring blank-brained at the wall—you know, like how dogs will stare at the closet to freak you out—counts as a hobby, then that's mine. It's also part of my writing process, so it does double duty.
I give myself 2 nights a week off. One to go rock climbing, and one to spend time with my wife. Both keep me sane and healthy...

Though to be fair, I do usually manage to write something during both of those days. And yes, all of my other hobbies suffer because of writing.

Reactions: Ban

Ban

Troglodytic Trouvère
Article Team

Work to live, not live to work. If you can, I'd make time for a hobby. Speaking of which, time for a run.

Mad Swede

Auror
Horse riding, in the sense that as a rider I don't create new situations or things. It's about working together with my horse. And I always feel so relaxed after I've been riding.

I really only have two other hobbies: dice making and playing video games, so I guess the latter?

There is some creativity in it, especially rpgs where you can create your own fiction in your head as to why you're doing what you're doing. But then there's games like Lawn Mowing Simulator, which is just satisfying to play because you're making order out of chaos.