• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Trying to not set my raft on fire....

Kit

Maester
Sorry I keep asking for help with all these stupid questions.... but that's what we're here for, right? :eek:

I need to have campfire-sized fires on my bamboo rafts. Preferrably without burning up the rafts and their occupants. Again, they are rather primitive folks, so the setup should be something rather primitive- and I'd prefer to not make them trade with outlanders to get metal for this if I can manage it with the materials at hand. Can I use some kind of clay bowl? Coated with something? A bed of old ash in the bottom? How about one bowl inside of a larger shallow one, the larger shallow one containing a few inches of water to prevent the smaller fire bowl from getting too hot and burning the raft? I was also considering having the fire bowl on a set of short legs (perhaps with the legs sitting in a shallower bowl with a few inches of water in it). The rafts are going to be moving, so the wobbliness of a burn bowl on legs would be a disadvantage. It would also be nice to have something that didn't require constant monitoring and repouring of water into that outside pan, but I'll do what I have to do. I've experimented small-scale with a fire made in a pot of sand, but the sand got really hot. I guess I could keep wetting the sand, just like repouring water into a bottompan, if I really had to... Thoughts?

I also need to have some bigger fires, an oven or two, and a kiln on some larger communal rafts. These are going to pretty much be constantly going, and very hot. What would I need to do to make my ovens and kiln safe? Sit their legs in a pan of water?

I have to be really careful, because I have kids and disabled people essentially living on some of these big communal kitchen rafts, so I can't have them catching on fire. Also, I figure if the kiln (which was expensive and a PITA to transport) ends up sinking to the bottom of the river, that could be a real hassle.

Any ideas would be much appreciated. Thank you.

Caged Maiden

Staff
Article Team
When I was younger, I remember watching a educational video that said you can heat water in a leaf, because the water will stop the leaf from burning. I suggest maybe googling that and seeing how and why its possible, then it might help you invent something that will do what you need it to.

Queshire

Istar
Hrmm... That's a tough question, historically fire was the biggest threat on any boat or ship. Maybe consider whether you even need fire? You could have them eat pickled foods primarily or rely on glowing mushrooms or moss for light. You could also have something like hanging pots with fire in them so that they wouldn't risk tipping over, but I'm not sure how you'd do it without metal. Twisted vines maybe? I know that historically there were some incidents of essentially floating cities, so you could take a look at that, but I'm not sure how much help it'd be.

SeverinR

Vala
I think it would be possible to use a two tiered clay pot, fill the lower with water(between fire and fire pot) fire in upper, the lower is a heat sink, to prevent the wood at the base from heating up. The water would have to be filled once in a while, and if long term or hot fires the water might boil.

It is one possibility, also if not anchored to the boat, if someone knocked it over, the water would assist in prevent a large scale boat fire. It might not be enough to extinguish, but it would be a great warning if no one was watching the fire. Loud hiss along with the noise of the fire pot falling over. It might be able to use as a warmer for food, or medical supplies?

Caged Maiden

Staff
Article Team
What if you used the water itself... like had a sort of stone fire pit surrounded by water, or even a clay container holding the fire that was somehow built out over the water or suspended somehow....

Saigonnus

Auror
Well, many early native cultures crafted "bowls" from a stone or rock and used them to hold the fire to heat the inside of their huts in the winter. Something like this could be used in the center of a raft or canoe depending on the size as a way of cooking or keeping warm, if it is on a raft or boat, consider if it is for heat that smaller is better, especially if you cover the center in some way. Look up a flat boat and perhaps that can give some idea of what I mean.

Caged Maiden

Staff
Article Team
yeah I remember hearing that now..... they had ways to transport a small fire around in canoes, which I guess was for ease, so they didn't have to keep making fire everywhere they went.

Kit

Maester
I wonder if it would make sense to cut a hole in the center of the raft and have the fire pot suspended in that hole in such a way that the bottom of the pot is actually touching the water. I think I'd still be stuck with having to use metal for that, but safety needs to trump ease of obtaining materials.

Caged Maiden

Staff
Article Team
I think clay could work, but then I don't burn much here in the desert (where wildfires are VERY common). If you suspended an earthenware pot to the water, it might be okay... and if it scientifically isn't possible, MAKE it possible.... invent a coating they smear on the pot, slug juice or river bug oil or something which will make it protected from shattering

Caged Maiden

Staff
Article Team
l like your desire to have a self-sufficient people, and early humans would have made it work. I think it adds an element to the culture if you continue on as you are; with them not reliant on outside supplies....

Kit

Maester
ROFL... you make me *really* want to come up with an excuse to use "slug juice" for SOMETHING.....

Kit

Maester
They do trade with others, but they like to live simply and be self-reliant as much as possible. The constant damp and the fact that they are semi-nomadic further make having a lot of metal stuff impractical. In addition, the kids are a large part of the story. At about age 7 or so, they are mostly taking care of themselves. They have less access to trade goods, so it's particularly important for them to find ways to do things with what materials are at hand.

Caged Maiden

Staff
Article Team
like I said, I love the concept, and it is very probable that if metl is rare, they were using something before tey had access to it. If only wealthy people had a metal fire bowl, it would add depth to your culture if you could draw that distinction. Keep going with this, It's good

Saigonnus

Auror
Plant fibers or vines could be braided and were used like later man used rope to tie things together. Also strips of leather soaked in water and tied around items could hold things together even better than plant fibers. Assuming you have deer, cows, goats or even rabbits, it could possibly add to the self-sufficiency aspect. Most primative cultures used almost every part of the animal for something in their everyday lives. Bones went for knife handles or spear points, intestines for rope also (or musical instruments) bladder for holding water and most of the internal organ were eaten.

Kit

Maester
Keep going with this, It's good

You don't know the half of it... I'm really excited about this WIP. I can't locate the beginning yet, but I've written a few scenes from random spots in the storyline. When I go back to reread, instead of thinking "This is irredeemable crud," and circular-filing it, as I often do, I'm thinking, "Day-um, this is sublime... did I write this?" :biggrin:

Ivan

Minstrel
Hate to introduce another problem but even a little campfire burns through a couple pounds of wood per hour. Big fires go through a lot more. Where is that wood going to come from?

Kit

Maester
Yes, I was going to use the peat idea- they will also be burning other vegetation. Not always DRY vegetation... bogs being what they are, clouds of ravenous mosquitoes are a constant problem. I figure billowing smoke will be a good thing.

Ivan

Minstrel
As far as the small fires, if its in a small enough vessel you could slide it around so that no one part of the raft gets too hot.