• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

With Whom Are You Compared?

Demesnedenoir

Myth Weaver
I got Ray Bradbury. I won't bitch about that! I'm not sure I see it, but I won't bitch, heh heh. That's chapter one of the Contessa.

Chapter 2: Margaret Atwood.
Chapter 3: Neil Gaiman
Chapter 4: Neil Gaiman
Chapter 5: Ursula K. Le Guin
Chapter 6: Neil Gaiman
Chapter 7: H.G. Wells
Chapter 8: James Fenimore Cooper
Chapter 9: James Fenimore Cooper
Chapter 10: Harry Harrison... I had to look that one up! LMAO.

ScoreIt supposedly checks your entire text, and I've no idea how much this checks or what it does with fantasy names, but it's still fun.

pmmg

Myth Weaver
I think it good to see there is so much variety. When I did it, I wondered if it was slanted towards JK Rowling. Ill try some other chapters.

pmmg

Myth Weaver
Well....that came out all over the place...

Anne Rice, David Forester Wallace, J R. R. Tolkien, Ray Bradbury, Charles Dickens....

I got Anne Rice and JK Rowling several times. Anne I could see, JK? Not sure why.

I'd like to see what it was looking at.

Demesnedenoir

Myth Weaver
Yeah, what criteria it uses would be interesting. I could actually see Ray Bradbury for the beginning of Chapter 1 of The Contessa from a certain perspective. I like the way Gaiman writes, so it wouldn't shock me if I have similarities.

Well....that came out all over the place...

Anne Rice, David Forester Wallace, J R. R. Tolkien, Ray Bradbury, Charles Dickens....

I got Anne Rice and JK Rowling several times. Anne I could see, JK? Not sure why.

I'd like to see what it was looking at.

I'm intrigued by this tool you've all been using to get comparisons, but I wonder how it works. Surely, to get a proper comparison, you'd have to put in a pretty long extract. There's a strong vein of satire in my work but no algorithm is going to pick that up without considering the entire text... I would've thought.

I might give it a go, but feeling oddly reticent. I don't like posting my unpublished material - and the new stuff is what I'm most interested in seeing analysed.

I'm intrigued by this tool you've all been using to get comparisons, but I wonder how it works. Surely, to get a proper comparison, you'd have to put in a pretty long extract. There's a strong vein of satire in my work but no algorithm is going to pick that up without considering the entire text... I would've thought.

I might give it a go, but feeling oddly reticent. I don't like posting my unpublished material - and the new stuff is what I'm most interested in seeing analysed.
It’s not ‘accurate’ by any stretch, just a bit of fun, but I can see why I got those comparisons. My work isn’t anything like Neil Gaiman nor Ursula Guin, I wouldn’t take the answers you get as gospel.

A. E. Lowan

Forum Mom
Leadership
Entertainment purposes only.
That's a great description of these things. They're fun, but the impressions you really want to listen to are the readers'. Honestly, we've never used one. Before this thread, I didn't even know about them. :p

We exhibit at cons (mostly Planet Comicon Kansas City, but we're hoping to expand soon) where we're usually surrounded by tons of other fantasy authors and not only is the atmosphere charged and fun, readers will come to our table and tell us what they loved and what they'd like to see in the future. Butcher and Martin come up a few times a day those weekends. Just the validation is incredible. :D

Mad Swede

Auror
That's a great description of these things. They're fun, but the impressions you really want to listen to are the readers'. Honestly, we've never used one. Before this thread, I didn't even know about them. :p

We exhibit at cons (mostly Planet Comicon Kansas City, but we're hoping to expand soon) where we're usually surrounded by tons of other fantasy authors and not only is the atmosphere charged and fun, readers will come to our table and tell us what they loved and what they'd like to see in the future. Butcher and Martin come up a few times a day those weekends. Just the validation is incredible. :D
Some day you'll have to come to Scandinavia - your books are available here in Stockholm.

A. E. Lowan

Forum Mom
Leadership
Some day you'll have to come to Scandinavia - your books are available here in Stockholm.
We would absolutely love that. I, personally, have two Swedish friends, father and son, who are also writers and creatives. The son I met here about ten years ago, and he's been such a great friend. It makes me think very highly of the Swedish.