• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Notes

Ifinx

Scribe
Hey Everyone,

I really hate being a newb at this because I hate having to ask one question after another. So I hope no one takes offense.

Anyway I'm wanting to write a scene where one of my characters receives a written note in which he reads. How would you go about showing that? Would you write it like dialogue? I know some books insert a picture of the note.

This is how it appears in the scene as of right now.

------------------------------------------------------

Unfolding the parchment he noticed it had several bits of extremely small writing; after a moment he noted to himself that this is way too small for someone to write; it had to have been done with magic. It read:

------------------------------------------------------

Would that be correct?

JCFarnham

Auror
That would depend entirely on a publisher's house style and their "typesetters" to be honest. You could do it however you like, and they might change it..

The most common way I've seen it handled is through differing size font and more left and right indentation.

Ifinx

Scribe
That would depend entirely on a publisher's house style and their "typesetters" to be honest. You could do it however you like, and they might change it..

The most common way I've seen it handled is through differing size font and more left and right indentation.

Thank you. I think I will just write it out in a paragraph to itself and change the font, size, and indentations like you said. If I ever get to the point where I am indeed looking for a publisher then your right I'll probably have to change some things around.

Ifinx

I would go with JC with the indenting, but I would italicize instead of change font size. Never published, though, so take this with a grain (or a pound) of salt.

Penpilot

Staff
Article Team
I would try to find an example from a book. But I think I agree with above indent and italics. Italics because you're hearing the thoughts of the character as they read the letter.

Ireth

Myth Weaver
Whether you're looking at a published book or just a manuscript will make things different. Many websites with advice on proper manuscript format say that one should not italicize text, but underline it instead, and that letters and things of that ilk should be indented on the left side a half-inch further than the rest of the text. It comes out looking very different in a published book.

Penpilot

Staff
Article Team
That's very true, but manuscript formatting isn't, unfortunately, universal. Things like italics may be fine for one place but frowny face from another. You'll have to check submission guidelines for each place. I don't know this for a fact but I suspect the underline thing has to do with when people used typewriters so readability was an issue. But with computer printouts and electronic submissions I don't believe italics is a big issue. But then again, I don't know diddly.

Last edited:

Ifinx

Scribe
Another question with it. A lot of people don't like italics or even a change in font. Would underlining his thoughts be just the same? If not then were does underlining come into play?

Ireth

Myth Weaver
Underlining is used in manuscripts to show where italics will go in the finished novel. When working with a font like Courier New (the most recommended font for proper manuscript format, to my knowledge), it's far easier to see an underlined word or phrase than an italicized one, especially for an editor or typesetter whose eyes are sore from skimming over dozens of manuscripts in a day.

SeverinR

Vala
Underlining is used in manuscripts to show where italics will go in the finished novel. When working with a font like Courier New (the most recommended font for proper manuscript format, to my knowledge), it's far easier to see an underlined word or phrase than an italicized one, especially for an editor or typesetter whose eyes are sore from skimming over dozens of manuscripts in a day.
That makes the most since as to why to do or not do something. I know if I read alot, noticing italicized words can be difficult.

Its easier to remember if you know why something is the way it is and easier to figure out similar questions in the future.

Ifinx

Scribe
Okay so maybe it would be easier to use underline it until a agent gets ahold of it when I actually get done. Would it be also good to change fonts for a characters thoughts? Other than Courier New is there any other good formats for manuscripts?

Ireth

Myth Weaver
Times New Roman is the other highly recommended font for manuscripts. I don't think there are any others. Times and Courier are by far the easiest for editors and typesetters to read, and you don't want to make life difficult for them if you want your book published. I wouldn't recommend changing fonts for a character's thoughts -- inconsistency could be a mark against you. I usually underline character thoughts, as I would any other text I'd want italicized.

Ifinx

Scribe
Thank you. You've been a big help to me. It isn't easy sometimes being a newb at something. Anyway thank you again.

Ifinx