• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Thoughts on reusing names...

Rullenzar

Troubadour
What are the thoughts on using first names that have been used...
I have a few names I've compiled for my main character but I'm not feeling any of them anymore and I'm still leaning towards the very first name I had for him. The problem is, that name has been used already in Final Fantasy 10. I really like the name Auron / Ohran / Ohren etc.. but I'm not sure if this sort of thing is frowned upon.

My character will ofcourse have a last name and he's different in comparison to Auron from the FF series but I'm not sure.

Kit

Maester
If the name is unusual enough, and you think your target audience will be familiar with the original, that could be weird.

Caged Maiden

Staff
Article Team
I used the name Oren in a book... but it was for a dog (Because my dog's name is Orion). I don't know... I love FF and I would not be adverse to you using the name again. In fact, HAHA i used the name Jarren in one of my stories (happened to run into it in a baby naming book and loved it) and then Aras (because I likes Aries but dropped a letter) and then both those names appeared on Survivor soon afterwards... Does that look like I ripped off Survivor? HAHA this world only has so many words (and names) and with all the art created it is just too likely you are actually stealing a name from somewhere whether you know it or not.

If you like the name, use it, and don't worry about it. Actually come to think of it, I have other FF-sounding names in my peripheral characters and ancestors of my characters as well. What can we say? FF had a lot of good names. I say unless you are ATTEMPTING to rip off a name, you may proceed with a clear conscience.... I'd just stay away from a red-cloaked Vampire named Vincent and a guy with a big sword named Cloud... you know... the obvious ones.

My honest opinion on your name.. I like the spelling Auron better than trying to change the letters.....

Steerpike

Felis amatus
The name Auron shows up in a few places. I think Kit is right - if it is something that a lot of people are going to automatically associate with the game, you might want to rethink it. But I'm not sure that is what will happen here. I'd ask a few things: 1) how important was the Auron character in FF10; 2) are many readers likely to immediately associate your use of that name with the game; and 3) is there anything about the character himself that will reinforce that association with the game in the mind of the reader. If the answer to 2) or 3) is no, I wouldn't worry about it.

Mindfire

Istar
I've never heard of him. But I don't play Final Fantasy. I say go for it. Lots of characters have the same name, and Final Fantasy is a fairly small niche in the US. Your readers probably won't even realize the connection.

Shockley

Maester
Your audience is much more likely to be familiar with E. E. Knight's Auron.

A lot of names cycle and there's rarely any trouble for it. I have a character with the same first name as someone in one of my favorite stories (The Saxon Chronicles by Bernard Cornwell), but my name developed independently of that (we both use Anglo-Saxon as the base language), so I feel no guilt in keeping that name. It's way more important to have a unique character.

Kit

Maester
In fact, HAHA i used the name Jarren in one of my stories (happened to run into it in a baby naming book and loved it) and then Aras (because I likes Aries but dropped a letter) and then both those names appeared on Survivor soon afterwards... Does that look like I ripped off Survivor? HAHA .

:biggrin: One of my MC's names is totally ripped off of an early season of The Real World.... It's a weird name that I've never heard anywhere else, and it's been at least a decade since that season- hope I'm okay! I don't know how that gal spelled it- I came up with my own spelling. I just liked the sound of it.

Queshire

Istar
I'd be careful if I were you... I personally wouldn't use Auron because I've only heard that name in relation to Final Fantasy. If there's an older source, or other reason, for it, then go for it. You'll have to defend that name from people that only know it from Final Fantasy like myself, but if you're up for it then go for it. If you want Auron specifically because it comes from Final Fantasy then I'd suggest against it.

This is actually kind of a tricky question. While I'm familiar with the name Auron being used in a couple other places (in E.E Knight's Dragon Champion, and as the name of a planet in Blake's 7), I know most people are probably more familiar with that name through FF. And it is a pretty uncommon spelling, so they're bound to make the connection.

There are more common spellings of that name, though. Like Oren (which is my brother's middle name) or Orrin. Same name, but without the strong association to FF.

Ophiucha

Auror
I think as long as a name isn't in something almost omnipotent in its reach among your potential fans, it should be fine. Auron is certainly a moderately major character in Final Fantasy X, but in all likelihood, a lot of your readers won't know him, or won't love FF10 enough to think of him. I mean, if you read enough or watch enough TV, you stop hearing names and thinking of a specific instance of it. I don't think of Jeff from Community every time I hear 'Jeff' out in the real world, even though I know nobody named Jeff and can't think of any books or shows I've watched (other than Community, obviously) with a character named Jeff in a prominent role. I just... don't think of him as the only basis for the name.

Similarly, even though I am aware of Auron, I'm not a big enough fan of Final Fantasy X, haven't played it recently enough, nor is it the only time I've ever seen a name similar to it to be stuck with the image of him in my head the whole time I read. Maybe if I replay FF10, and then immediately after pick up your book, I'll get a giggle out of the name, but I'll still disassociate the two characters quickly enough to not disturb the reading process.

There are limits. Probably wouldn't name a character Frodo, for instance. But you can get away with secondary characters from video games. Particularly FF10. I might hesitate on something like "Cloud" (and definitely "Sephiroth") since those are far more popular, but Auron is fine.

Amanita

Maester
Hm, given that I'm not playing any computer games I might just do this by accident. I actually did with one race name and changed it because of that when someone pointed it out to me.
As a reader, I don't mind this kind of thing as long as the name isn't a) very unusual and b) has a similar role in another story. There are quite a few names which turn up in various fantasy stories, Arya is an example I can think of at the top of the head. No idea why that is so popular however. ;)