• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

What are your thoughts on fanfiction?

myrddin173

Maester
It's like some people just throw the name of every character, creature, or object, no matter how minor, in a hat and then write a story about whichever two they pull out.

That made me think of the Harry Potter parody A Very Potter Musical, which is actually quite good I suggest watching it on Youtube, in it the Sorting Hat is on its Honeymoon after marrying the Scarf of Sexual Preference. Also Draco Malfoy, played by a girl which is hilarious in its own right, develops a crush on Hermione, he and Ron have a duet about it.

On topic though I support fanfiction, when it is done well. For the past few years I've been following a fanfiction of an anime/manga I used to watch. Its ending always left me wanting more. The author, who has been writing this fanfiction for over 10 years, started where the original left off and has introduced new characters and plot arcs and has surpassed the original in length. In reality I prefer the fanfiction over the original. It's amazing reading it and seeing the author developing as a writer. On a side note the newest chapter is the length of Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone.

Last edited:

Blue Wizard

Dreamer
I don't care for it. There are a few jewels, but honestly I don't feel like slogging through miles of shit to get to a nugget of gold.

Mythos

Troubadour
I've written a little bit of fanfiction, but I cannot read it. I use it as a way to play around with stuff I would never seriously try to write. It's kind of like a playground for me.

I enjoy writing Warcraft fanfiction because the history is so interesting and the magic is just so flashy.

Behelit

Troubadour
I would not write fanfiction as the complete joy of writing would not be for writing sake but to delve into my OWN imagination. For the sake of avoiding argument let me clarify that "my OWN imagination" would be keeping external concepts/influences to a minimum nor utilizing another author's concepts. I would also not like or be flattered by fanfiction written from my mythology.

I can understand being flattered by someone using your standard to write a piece of fanfiction, but that's not my bag.

Please don't get the idea that I would ban and burn fanfiction, I personally do not involve myself with it. :)

Last edited:

Telcontar

Staff
It's a little ironic coming from a writer like George "Every time you ask me when Dance with Dragons is going to be finished, I kill another Stark" Martin

This was hilarious. And so terribly true...

I find the idea of an author 'forbidding' fanfiction to be hilarious. It's not like they can enforce such wishes. It's still getting written, I guarantee that - just not displayed on the official forums for the books.

I've actually written and read quite a bit of fan fiction. It started out with WarCraft on forums for the game WarCraft III before it was released. I don't use the existing characters - just the existing worlds. Makes it a good deal easier to dive in. These days I don't write much fan fiction, and I've moved away from WarCraft. When I write it these days I generally use Star Wars or Warhammer.

Star Wars everyone is familiar with, and there's lots to have fun with. Warhammer is an incredibly deep, storied, well-developed world, with lots of dark and gothic history and themes already in place. When I don't feel like building my own worlds, I use these.