• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning

myrddin173

Maester
So in my weekly email from gamestop where they try to get me to buy even more games I notice and add for this new game. Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning. From the description it looks like the Creator of Spore and the lead designer on ES Oblivion have been working on this. Also the world has been built by fantasy author RA Salvatore and while I haven't personally read him I have heard some good things.

It looks like an interesting game. What do the rest of you think?

Xanados

Maester
I've looked a lot into this game, on Youtube and other sites, and I can say I'm pretty hyped about it.

Darwin

Dreamer
To be honest I was very excited for this game. Then they put out a demo on the PSN and my excitedness dwindled. It's not that it's not a good game, it just seemed like I'd played it before. Johnny is right, more leaning towards Fable. The good thing though is that it gave me some special downloadables for Mass Effect 3. Now there's a game :)

Xanados

Maester
I have yet to play KoA:R, but I can say that I fully disagree with the pre-order bonuses. Armour that is better than most of the items you will receive at the beginning of the game? No thanks. That would ruin "loot whoring" aspect of RPGs that I love.

Darwin

Dreamer
I have yet to play KoA:R, but I can say that I fully disagree with the pre-order bonuses. Armour that is better than most of the items you will receive at the beginning of the game? No thanks. That would ruin "loot whoring" aspect of RPGs that I love.

While part of me agrees with that I have to say that it ultimately depends on your play-style. The armor and weapons that you get may lean towards a full on soldier melee style. But if you play with powers and don't depend on weapons that much then the bonus stuff is either for just looks or collecting purposes. Like you said, some of the pre-order things you can't get in the game, so if you get it then you have the ability to get EVERYTHING that the game has to offer.

Philip Overby

Staff
Article Team
Has anyone played this yet? I have tons of RPGs but this one looks cool in that it's more of a hack and slash style, which I'm open to for sure. I heard reviews have been mixed, but I'm hoping to get it.

myrddin173

Maester
I just bought it yesterday, so far it is pretty good. Once I'm a bit farther I will probably do some kind of write-up on it.

grumpy

Acolyte
I'm playing this. I really like it (am currently at level 30) but it has several flaws. It is more WoW/Fable than Skyrim but still an enjoyable, playable, "light" game.
There is also meant to be some DLC coming around March 20th but no idea how much that's going to cost yet.

Um, a mini review? Well, if you want something light to dip in and out of then this game is perfect. Nothing is too taxing, there is loot a-plenty, more cash than you could ever need for anything EVER. It's very pretty too. Cons? It's a bit "samey". Regardless of the zones the dungeons are all a bit "rinse and repeat". I've maxed out my skills tree at 30 and have no idea what I'm going to do with the next 30 points. So much loot that it's almost worthless. BUT, it's a really nice, playable game and I'm enjoying it. It is like playing WoW but without the people ;)

A

Alex Croyle

Its very similar to fable like you said, a little more serious, but the play style feels a lot like fable I

I've only played the PS3 demo so far. To be honest it looks really nice, there's some nice visual stuff, pretty cool design work, and it looks like R.A. has done a good job designing the history of the world and everything. However, I did not find it hugely immersive, the combat did not feel too exhilirating, but maybe I should have waited for more of the story.

You know, I enjoyed this game a lot. I was disappointed about Skyrim. The only good thing to the Elder Scrolls V, to me, was the embellished world. I'm picky about video games. However, Reckoning was a resurrection to my roleplay gaming. I enjoyed the character creation, the combat, the lore, and the leveling system. The world has a lot to catch up on, you have a fate that you unravel and your character advances through that, and the combat is brutal, fast, and fun! Not to mention, the story is gripping and keeps you playing. I'd recommend it to anyone who likes an RPG.