• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Greetings, Salutations, I Come In Peace (with footnotes)

Hello!

A few weeks ago I stumbled upon a podcast called "The Roundtable Podcast" that I began listening to fairly regularly... and as I did, one of the emcees[1] continued to mention this forum as a place that a) he regularly frequented and b) thought highly of.[2] Since the discussions on the podcast were good ones[3] I decided his judgement had a fair chance of being sound, so I wandered over here looked the place over, and decided to register.

Registration was challenging[4] but ultimately successful. So here I am!

Which leads me back to my original comment: Hello![5]

My name is Christopher Wright, which communicates nothing because it is one of the most common names in the Western World.[6] I'm here because I like writing and have been doing quite a bit of it of late, and this looks like a neat community in that regard.

Hopefully after five posts I will prove I'm not spam. But I don't always test well...

Hello![5]

-----
[1]Or whatever the podcasting equivalent term for emcee is.

[2]Or thought of highly. I fear I may be the "please use proper grammar" rule problem child. Hopefully I adapt before the axe is brought solidly down on my virtual neck.

[3]Which isn't to say that I always agreed with everything that was said, because I am ornery and strong willed, just like everyone else on the Internet. But discussions that don't provoke disagreement aren't actually discussions. They generally involve a bunch of people sitting around a table while someone reads the dictionary out loud.

[4]The registration page kept trying to convince me to link my Facebook account to this forum account, and when I left that information blank, it auto-populated some of the fields with someone else's information, then informed me that the account was already owned by a member. It wasn't until after I pondered my fate on Twitter that it automatically corrected itself. My takeaway from this is "Twitter can solve all your problems."

[5]Redundancy is a valid literary device, and I will resist any suggestions that redundancy is not a valid literary device, because redundancy is a valid literary device.

[6]It is slightly more useful to note that I am not Christopher Wright, the guy on Amazon who has a lot of Kindle books about Biblical Scholarship, nor am I Christopher Wright, the guy on Goodreads who has a lot of books about Art History. But only slightly.

Rikilamaro

Inkling
Well hello Christopher Wright! It's lovely to 'meet' you.

Welcome to the forums. We're a friendly bunch here.

1) Emcee works for me. I'm sure there's a technical term, but I fail at remembering it.

2) We don't mind problem children here. There's lots of moms around. :) Just know if you err too badly we may point at our computer screens and laugh our butts off.

3) I like reading the dictionary out loud. It's a learning experience. Of course, mine is a medical and pharmacological dictionary. Can you say "hydrochlorothiazide, bendroflumethiazide, hydroflumethiazide, and zaroxolyn," five times fast? And you'll find lots of friendly people here, but sometimes we act ornery.

4) I do not have a Twitter account. I am resisting to the best of my abilities.

5) Ditto.

6) Do you know who you are? That's all that matters, really. :D

Hope you laughed at least a little. Let us know how we can help.

Many welcomes to the Scribes, the place to be for anyone remotely interested in fantasy. I hope you enjoy yourself here [1] and look forward to seeing your writing.

[1] I know I do;).

Holdwyne

Dreamer
Rather than a Problem Child can we dub thee the footnote king??

From one noob to another, welcome aboard and may you find within these halls that which thou dost desire'st most and whilst perusing the halls of Infamy & grandeur, Please avoid using the head, Its broke. Trust me on this one!!

Clean up on aisle 3!!!

Holdwyne

Dreamer
Rather than a Problem Child can we dub thee the footnote king??

From one noob to another, welcome aboard and may you find within these halls that which thou dost desire'st most and whilst perusing the halls of Infamy & grandeur, Please avoid using the head, Its broke. Trust me on this one!!

Clean up on aisle 3!!!

Saigonnus

Auror
Welcome to the forums... I am somewhat new also, but as I have been made to feel welcome, just jump right in and have fun. :p

Dreamhand

Troubadour
Hey Christopher! Welcome to the community, sir! I hope you find it to be as stimulating and supportive as I have (AND thanks for mentioning the podcast... a little PR among my chosen on-line community is always appreciated). :)

And I think I can honestly say I have never in all my days seen an introduction post so thoroughly footnoted. Already you're distinguishing yourself as "eccentric" and "quirky" (common traits among the highly creative and the mentally unstable... not that the two are mutually exclusive).

Explore... comment... have fun!

Christopher--Thankfully, someone who knows what I know and is not afraid to say it! Redundancy IS a legitimate literary device! (Certainly so in satire). So how do we teach people that it is? Repeat repeat repeat it? Which is also a legitimate literary device known as repetition! :)

Klee Shay

Troubadour
Settle for nothing less than the best, but please wipe your footnotes off on the welcome mat . . . we just cleaned the carpets.

Welcome to the site