• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

raw manuscripts

Ireth

Myth Weaver
This is definitely meant to be read as a joke. Manuscripts you send to publishers should be as polished as you can get them. You shouldn't leave everything to your editor; their job is to catch the mistakes you still legitimately miss after a few dozen revisions.

edd

Scribe
i did find it funny but it can be misleading to new writers as its at the front page of your website, i was half asleep when i was reading it i must admit lol.

Devor

Fiery Keeper of the Hat
I only caught it on re-read, but he mentions a collection of stories called "Stories which begin in inns." Brings back D&D memories.

Shockley

Maester
Moving past the joke content. No, it's never a good idea. Always bad.

And honestly, if your first go-round is in anyway coherent I don't understand how you operate.

Penpilot

Staff
Article Team
Well, i have to admit, I had a moment where I thought it was serious, and I was thinking what the hell is this dude talking about? That's all wrong, wrong, wrong... Oh... it's satire... hhaha.

ArielFingolfin

Troubadour
That's right, they haven't read my story about zebra unicorns! By golly, I'll just scribble it in chocolate on some toilet paper and leave it in y publisher's mailbox along with a basket of kittens I scooped up from the alley behind my apartment!

Steerpike

Felis amatus
That's right, they haven't read my story about zebra unicorns! By golly, I'll just scribble it in chocolate on some toilet paper and leave it in y publisher's mailbox along with a basket of kittens I scooped up from the alley behind my apartment!

Well, it is Caturday, so it would be timely.

There's always that one old guy who smokes a cigar a day, drinks half a bottle of whiskey by noon, eats nothing but bacon, red meat, and lard, and lives to be 98. Which means you'll probably run across someone who sends in a raw manuscript that's so effing brilliant he or she gets signed and makes a million dollars. And someone will read about that person and decide "well, that's the way to do it then."[1]

----------
[1]And will then die of a heart attack because he's been doing nothing but smoking cigars, drinking whiskey, and eating bacon, red meat, and lard.