• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Game of Thrones

SeverinR

Vala
Got a free preview week(end?) of HBO, loved this show, watched every episode they played.
Did not like HBO enough to subscribe, but loved this show.

The last episode I saw the woman in the ashes with baby dragons clinging to her.
NO! don't stop now! I leave town tomorrow!

Just wondering what does everyone think of gsme of thrones. I like almost everything; Love Emilia Clarke she's one of my favorites the others are Tyrion, Robb Catelyn, Stannis, Jon, and Bran

Legendary Sidekick

The HAM'ster
I'm counting down the hours until the next episode.

Or, more realistically, the 11 PM showing of tonight's episode. By the time the kids settle down, it's doubtful that my wife will be ready to watch the 9 PM showing. I'm psyched that I finally got her into the show! During April Vacation (Apr 15-20), we watched season 1 episodes 5-10, so she's all caught up now.

Janga

Minstrel
I'm finding as the new season progresses, they are deviating more and more from the book. The show is great, but I find most of the deviations unnecessary.

It really is an awesome show. That being said, there are several Game of Thrones threads already up, both a general thread and several specific ones, so it might be easier just to continue the conversation on one of those.

The mods merge threads because it prevents cluttering up the site with multiple threads about the same topic and keeps all relevant information in one place. Or at least that's why I assume they merge them. I would never presume to know the mind of one so confusing as Sidekick here :confused:

Legendary Sidekick

The HAM'ster
The mods merge threads because it prevents cluttering up the site with multiple threads about the same topic and keeps all relevant information in one place. Or at least that's why I assume they merge them.
What he said.

Plus, you capitalized the "T" in "Thrones," so by merging the threads, we keep all the posts AND the tread title is properly capitalized.

I'll tell ya... that lowercase "t" was driving me nuts.

I would never presume to know the mind of one so confusing as Sidekick here :confused:
What he said.

ArielFingolfin

Troubadour
I'm finding as the new season progresses, they are deviating more and more from the book. The show is great, but I find most of the deviations unnecessary.

Part of it is trying to keep costs down by using less characters and consolidating plots a little. I haven't found any plot deviations that have really gotten under my skin, which is saying something since they've already done a book and a half by now. And if being economic allows them to do all of the books, then I'm alright with it so long as they stay true to the heart of the books, which I think they've done, at least in my view.

Tamwen

Troubadour
I'm seriously loving Stephen Dillane as Stannis. He's one of my favorite characters in the books and Dillane is doing a marvelous job. And Catrice, the woman who plays Melisandre, is just... gorgeous. Seriously, there are some angles were I don't even believe she's real.

AND THEY'RE CASTING SHIREEN!

Team Dragonstone, just take all my regards why don't you?

Legendary Sidekick

The HAM'ster
I can't help but notice that wildling girls tend to be spared by the boys of House Stark.

Auto-correct made me type "willing girls," but I caught it.

Anyway, a lot went on in that one hour. My wife is really into it, which is not really surprising at this point. The nudity and sex doesn't even affect her now. If anything, it makes it easier to identify some characters. This is best left unexplained.

Honestly, I was really upset at last night's episode. Good tv, but there were WAY too many changes, and some were big changes. Theon's character arc was my favorite part of the second book. I think they might have ruined it already. And Meera and Jojen still haven't shown up. I'm starting to worry they never will.

Tamwen

Troubadour
Honestly, I was really upset at last night's episode. Good tv, but there were WAY too many changes, and some were big changes. Theon's character arc was my favorite part of the second book. I think they might have ruined it already. And Meera and Jojen still haven't shown up. I'm starting to worry they never will.

They've said that so many characters were introduced the second book that they've moved them to the third. Examples are Shireen and Patchface, the Florents, and, of course, Meera and Jojen.

And am I the only one who's starting to think that they're deliberately making Robb screw up more in the show than the books.

And the full-frontal nudity is very disproportionate. Seriously, completely naked Osha but no Theon? /psht/ I swear, one of the writers is a thirteen year old boy.

Tamwen

Troubadour
My wife only needed to see him once. Now she only knows him by the nickname she came up with after his full frontal shot.

It's not so much that I wanted to see Theon. But seriously, the nudity is really one-sided. Melisandre gets completely naked, but not Stannis? And every chance they get, they throw in naked whores. It's like slapping Joffrey. It doesn't need context. It's like the writers think every single goddam episode needs some naked breasts.

Steerpike

Felis amatus
A screenwriter once told me that male genitalia is still considered an area that is questionable and will offend more people than other nudity. Apparently breasts and rear-ends of both sexes are considered relatively non-offensive, and frontal nudity of a female doesn't often present much more than breasts (at least in any detail). That was his explanation as to why you don't see a lot of front nudity of men.

I think there is also the perception that males are more likely to respond to visual stimuli like nudity, and so if that's your goal you get more mileage out of naked women.

Not sure either of these things are true, but even the perception of them might play into it. I don't know.