• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Websites and Quality of Work

Waltershores

Dreamer
I wanted to get feedback on whether it is a good idea to provide writing samples on a website if those samples are not finished. For example, maybe the writing is slightly disjointed, maybe a few grammatical errors, etc. I ask because I have done that recently and I was curious if you all feel it makes the author (me) look juvenile in his endeavors. Be gentle!!

Calash

Scribe
That depends on what your goal is. If you are looking for feedback then posting your honest attempts helps to get valuable and accurate feedback that could help to improve your future works.

If you are thinking more of an online portfolio then you will want the works to be your best Cleaned up and crisp to draw in potential publishers and readers.

Just a quick note: It is not a good idea to post any works that you are planning on trying to have published. You run into issues with "First Rights" that will devalue the work in the eyes of a potential publisher.

Do not be afraid to post your work here if that is what you're getting at. That is what the "Showcase" forum is for. Giant mistakes in spelling and grammar in all honesty do make the writer look juvenile, but mistakes happen to the best of us. So long as they're not huge, I don't think it matters. And even if your spelling and grammar isn't great, as long as your upfront about it, it can't be used as an insult because you've openly admitted it yourself.
If you want to share your work, do so without hesitation :)

Waltershores

Dreamer
Thanks for the responses. I think I may just use my site to update progress on material I am looking to publish, instead of posting excerpts of it. I am new to the site, but I will definitely begin posting material here soon for review. I noticed pretty much any length and story type is acceptable, which is great news. Thanks again!!