• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Anybody care to share their map?

Mindfire

Istar
34xj0a1.png

This is probably the worst map I have ever created. orz

Lol. It's not that bad. It's not quite close enough to be useable, but it's still cool lookin. Thanks! :)

Ophiucha

Auror
Haha, didn't think it would be, but it was fun working with a reference for once. I usually just have an image in my head and kinda let my clumsy hand deal with the details. :p

Working on one for myself now, and I'm bemoaning my need for an archipelago. So many little islands...

Mindfire

Istar
Haha, didn't think it would be, but it was fun working with a reference for once. I usually just have an image in my head and kinda let my clumsy hand deal with the details. :p

Working on one for myself now, and I'm bemoaning my need for an archipelago. So many little islands...

Yeah I bet those are a pain to draw. lol

Telcontar

Staff
Looks nice. I think it's plenty useful if you're working with macro politics or long travel... only thing that caught my eye in a bad way is the rivers. They stretch from ocean to ocean... rivers don't do that. :) You've got some that look good on the small continent, though.

Mindfire

Istar
Looks nice. I think it's plenty useful if you're working with macro politics or long travel... only thing that caught my eye in a bad way is the rivers. They stretch from ocean to ocean... rivers don't do that. :) You've got some that look good on the small continent, though.

Are you referring to my map or hers? Because I don't have any rivers that stretch from one sea to another. Those are meant to be mountain springs and glacial melting sources.

Ophiucha

Auror
Yeah, I wouldn't have drawn the rivers like that, but the way I do topography on my Photoshop maps, it's a bit harder to show where the source of a river is. (Also, I couldn't figure out what the source of the lower cluster of rivers was from Mindfire's map, so I just drew it ambiguously southbound.) In my personal maps, my rivers are just these puny little forking things that connect the mountains to the nearest coast and I leave it at that. :/ I can never be bothered with long rivers. orz

Hans

Sage
A map of my current WIP: http://5sl.org/~bretscher/bilder/Athalis.png (The map is also very WIP.)
Contours are at -0-100-200-500-1000+
Mountains go up to 3500m, but above 1km everything is permafrost and glacier so no need to go into more detail there.
The island is slightly larger than New Guinea but has only about 8E5 inhabitants, most of them living south of the southern mountains.
The inner of the island is uninhabitable due to high volcanic activity, lots of roaming ghosts and spirits and maybe one or another daemon.

zizban

Troubadour
prakani.jpeg

This is a very (very) rough draft of the map for my forthcoming novel, Ouroboros. It's hard to read because the pencil drawing has faded a bit and it's not in great shape. I am working on a better map right now.

I drew the map only after finishing the first draft of the novel. All the action takes place in just two cities so that wasn't an issue, however, remembering the names I used turned out to be. The map is a little wrong.

The Prakani Empire takes up most of what you see on the map, with uncontrolled area on the edges and the Seventeen Kingdoms to the east and south. There is no scale because I haven't figured out one and almost everyone travels by magic anyway so I didn't bother. I figure it's about four times the size of Scandinavia.

Almost all the interior features are named after places in India. No idea why. They just sounded exotic.

Jabrosky

Banned
I used Copic markers for this and added the labels in GIMP. The world's major gimmick is that its people are at a Mesolithic stage of technological development, which is to say they've settled down in permanent villages but haven't invented agriculture yet. The geography was heavily influenced by Robert E. Howard's Hyborian Age:

the_world_of_mesolithica_by_jabrosky-d4ymwhz.jpg

Hans

Sage
Is that a salt lake where the northwestern river flows in? I see no rivers flowing out if it, so it might be.
That lake is very round. Maybe a caldera? Or an impact crater at that size?
At what scale is the map?

Last edited:

zizban

Troubadour
It's probably a salt lake. I haven't really thought much about. Like I said above, most of the action takes place in just two cities on the coast so the interior wasn't a high priority. The lake is actually round for a reason like you suspect. I was thinking some cataclysm in the early history of the Prakani Empire created it.

The scale (for now) is one square equals forty miles, which makes the Empire about the same size north to south as Norway. I might go larger. I haven't decided yet.

Catherine

Dreamer
Upper_Realms_Map.jpg

Here's mine (well part of mine). This is just the Upper Realms - home to the Elemental races. I have yet to design all the other locations.

zizban

Troubadour
prakani3.jpeg

This is a redraw of the original map of the Prakani Empire. I did this to make sure I got all the geographic names correct. The place names are (generally) named after places in India to sound exotic.

The Prakani Empire takes up most of what you see. It does not control any lands beyond the Kithalinthok Mountains, nor the Seventeen Kingdoms. A couple places just off the map are Trondelag (Norway), Amlwch (Ireland) and the tropical Tosh Islands.