• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

werewolf but not a werewolf

Steerpike

Felis amatus
In the story wherein I wrote the werewolf killing the vampire, weres and vamps actually coexisted in harmony, along with mages and a few normal humans. This was just a special case of the vampire attacking and nearly killing the werewolf's normal-human boyfriend (while tripping out on mage blood, the vampire equivalent of LSD), driving the werewolf to kill the vamp in order to save her boyfriend's life. The vampire in question was a total nutcase. :/

I think it works whether it is a single instance or whether there is a war between the two. It is a fantasy world, after all. Vampires and werewolves aren't real; the only motivations they have are the ones you give them. So if there is a war between the two it is simple enough to provide a reason for it.

This sounds like an interesting scenario, though. The mage blood angle sounds fun.

Aravelle

Sage
It was Spice and Wolf.

That would actually be a fantastic anime to watch if you're lacking muse for giant wolves, or fantasy overall Queshire. It's succulent.

Leif GS Notae

Closed Account
By the gods, I am going to be sick recommending this since I hate the concept so much...

Wolfwere.

*twitch*

All right, now that I am done having blood shoot from my eyes, I'll explain. This concept is an old D&D staple where a wolf can shape change into a human and back again. Reverse lycanthropy, but without the curse. It would explain that the werewolves are doing it "wrong" and give your character a sense of superiority (dirty humans changing into half wolves are unclean. Only pure wolves can change into men at will) and it would give your bloodline a trickster element to it as well.

It's too bad I showered already, I feel dirty suggesting it. I'm gonna go to my bed now and weep openly like a baby.

Caliburn

I think its good! The only thing I ever thought was cheesy about the wolfwere concept was the name. Seems a bit too playful for me--more suited to a fairytale creature than a badass shapeshifter. By the way, if you change the 'f' in shapeshifter around to a certain other letter, you get a pretty amusing concept :p

shangrila

Inkling
By the gods, I am going to be sick recommending this since I hate the concept so much...

Wolfwere.

*twitch*

All right, now that I am done having blood shoot from my eyes, I'll explain. This concept is an old D&D staple where a wolf can shape change into a human and back again. Reverse lycanthropy, but without the curse. It would explain that the werewolves are doing it "wrong" and give your character a sense of superiority (dirty humans changing into half wolves are unclean. Only pure wolves can change into men at will) and it would give your bloodline a trickster element to it as well.

It's too bad I showered already, I feel dirty suggesting it. I'm gonna go to my bed now and weep openly like a baby.
Apart from this being D&D, it's brilliant. Don't feel too dirty now :)

Jess A

Archmage
Sherrylin Kenyon (spelling??) used animals who could become people. I've also seen it in numerous other works of fiction. It's a great concept - it doesn't have to be D&D.