• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

good evening

f00fc7c8

Acolyte
Hello-

wanted to say that I've been interested in Sci-Fi ever since I can remember. I remember be fascinated by Mark Twain's 'Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court.' While it isn't a traditional Sci-Fi/Fantasy, it got me interested in Jules Verne..

When I was 14, a friend of mine got me interested in Terry Brooks and his books.

Unfortunately, I don't have as much time to read as I used to- I commute 2 hours a day. There are a multitude of books I would really like to read; I guess I'll have to get an Audible account.

I have an Associates Degree in Programming, so I guess that adds to my geek cred.

Legerdemain

Troubadour
You can still read or write if you want too, I commute an hour each morning and evening and still manage to write and read a little each day. Though some days I read graphic novels cause I'm already trying to sleep...

Welcome! Hopefully what time you have to read can be well guided here, I'm sure BD has many ideas for great reads, long and short...

Black Dragon

Staff
Administrator
Welcome to Mythic Scribes!

I have to admit that I'm a little out of the loop with some aspects of technology. What is an audible account?

kjjcarpenter

Minstrel
Your name is too confusing to remember, so I'm just going to call you f00. :) Welcome!

I understand it's hard to find the time to read and write. I have the luxury of being flexible with my studies and work; however, reading is an easy one you can get out of the way. Read every night before bed, and force yourself to do it. Even if it's only a chapter one night because you're tired, read every night. It worked for me and it is now second-routine. Try it for a week, I'm sure you'll find it effective!

f00fc7c8

Acolyte
You can still read or write if you want too, I commute an hour each morning and evening and still manage to write and read a little each day. Though some days I read graphic novels cause I'm already trying to sleep...

Welcome! Hopefully what time you have to read can be well guided here, I'm sure BD has many ideas for great reads, long and short...

I do when I find a good book; I really enjoy reading. The only problem is when I read before bed I read myself to sleep.. :p

Welcome to Mythic Scribes!

I have to admit that I'm a little out of the loop with some aspects of technology. What is an audible account?

audible is an online subscription service that provides subscriptions to audio books. They have tons of books. A few years ago, they realized that there were not many Sci-Fi audio books on the market. Since then, they have set up studios and recorded their own Sci-Fi audio. Check them out: Audible.com. It isn't cheap, but it isn't much more than satellite radio but with better content.

Your name is too confusing to remember, so I'm just going to call you f00. :) Welcome!

I understand it's hard to find the time to read and write. I have the luxury of being flexible with my studies and work; however, reading is an easy one you can get out of the way. Read every night before bed, and force yourself to do it. Even if it's only a chapter one night because you're tired, read every night. It worked for me and it is now second-routine. Try it for a week, I'm sure you'll find it effective!

I do that when I find a good book. I have to make sure I don't drop the wife's kindle and break it... :rolleyes:

Black Dragon

Staff
Administrator
Thanks for explaining Audible, Foo. It sounds like a worthwhile service.

So you also are using a Kindle? How do you like it? Does it really make for a satisfying reading experience?

f00fc7c8

Acolyte
I bought my wife a kindle 2 for her birthday a little while after it came out.

I finally got to read a book on it a couple months ago.

I really liked the fact that you didn't have to keep changing hand positions while changing pages. You just click and go. I also liked the fact the the font sizes could be changed (I don't need larger print, but my wife uses a larger print so she doesn't need her glasses to read). I also like the fact that you don't need a book mark. It is also pretty easy on your eyes- it is nothing like reading from an LCD screen.

Bad things:

It is a little heavier than a paperback, but a lot less than a hard back. It is easier to destroy than a book. Finally, you have to recharge it; however, this is just an annoyance. The battery lasts a long time (a week or two if you leave the wireless off).

I really like it. It'll probably buy one for myself when it drops to $99.

Black Dragon

Staff
Administrator
The Kindle sounds sweet. I've never seen one in person, although I have seen my brother-in-law's Nook, which I suppose is similar.

Could you imagine something like the Kindle ever replacing paper books completely?