• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Need naming help

BWFoster78

Myth Weaver
In my magic system, a person who controls the energy of chemical reactions is called an alchemist. A person who controls the flow of life in and out of a person is a death mage. I need names for the following:

A person who controls kinetic energy. This mage can cause an object at rest to accelerate almost instantaneously in any direction. I'm calling them "movers" for now but don't like it.

A person who controls potential energy. This mage can cause an object to grow heavier or lighter. I'm referring to them as "massers" at the moment but, again, don't like it.

A person who controls nuclear energy. This mage can create huge explosions. I'm calling them "blasters" at the moment but hate it.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

I usually dislike it when people name people using "er" endings such as your examples of "blaster" "mover" etc.

Here's my thoughts:

Kinetic energy -> Force Mage

I would think that the "masser" should actually fit with the kinetic type. They could throw objects at an enemy and then also make the object have a very dense mass so it would hit harder. Maybe they could have a special attack called "Momentum" or something.

Not really sure about the last one though.

I like your first first two names

BWFoster78

Myth Weaver
I usually dislike it when people name people using "er" endings such as your examples of "blaster" "mover" etc.

Here's my thoughts:

Kinetic energy -> Force Mage

I would think that the "masser" should actually fit with the kinetic type. They could throw objects at an enemy and then also make the object have a very dense mass so it would hit harder. Maybe they could have a special attack called "Momentum" or something.

Not really sure about the last one though.

I like your first first two names

Going with XXXX mage is going to be my last resort. I'm trying to do what Sanderson did with his Mistborn series and create memorable names for them. He had things like "smoker" and "pusher."

Going with XXXX mage is going to be my last resort. I'm trying to do what Sanderson did with his Mistborn series and create memorable names for them. He had things like "smoker" and "pusher."

Oh ok. Hmm I really cant come up with anything at the moment but if I can I will post back here and try to help out. As I said I usually try not to use the "Sanderson style" as you mentioned but if I think of something later I will post back

Ankari

Hero Breaker
A person who controls kinetic energy. This mage can cause an object at rest to accelerate almost instantaneously in any direction. I'm calling them "movers" for now but don't like it.

Archers, throwers, repellers, hunters,

A person who controls potential energy. This mage can cause an object to grow heavier or lighter. I'm referring to them as "massers" at the moment but, again, don't like it.

Bulwarks, floaters, lifters, muscles

A person who controls nuclear energy. This mage can create huge explosions. I'm calling them "blasters" at the moment but hate it.

This is a tough one, only because your use of Nuclear energy implies radiation. Which would be seen as a blight-causing magic. So:

Blighters, corrupters, defilers, wasters

BWFoster78

Myth Weaver
Archers, throwers, repellers, hunters,

Bulwarks, floaters, lifters, muscles

This is a tough one, only because your use of Nuclear energy implies radiation. Which would be seen as a blight-causing magic. So:

Blighters, corrupters, defilers, wasters

All interesting, but none speak to me. I'd like to vary the tags up as much as possible. For example, Sanderson also used "coin shots" as one of the types. This will help me think, though.

Anyone else out there with ideas?

Steerpike

Felis amatus
Impeller

Realizer

An exothermist (or exotherm)

Some of them could even be named after people, I suppose. A guy named Rankine came up with the term "potential energy," so people who follow his dictates could be Rankiners (just by example, you can use any name).

Fissioner or Fusioner or Transmutator (end products of fission or fusion).

Don't know :)

Gav

Scribe
you could always try to bastardize an existing word that already is synonymous for what your mages can do. So something like
'Velocimers' for your movers (a play on the word velocity) or maybe 'thermancer' for your nuclear mage ( uses the word thermal and could imply themo-nuclear when describing how his power works in your story

to be honest, i quite like Masser for your second one. even if its not the 'real' name, and is just what people refer to them as, i think it works well as even a colloquial term for them.

Krieger

Acolyte
I kind of like Kinetomancer (pronounced like Magneto of Marvel fame) for your movers, but honestly it sounds better out loud than it appears in print...

I've always been partial to that kind of magic myself. If you think about it, most magic that has physical results can be the result of changing kinetic energy. Sap all the movement in something's molecules and it's frozen, speed them up and it bursts into flame. Of course, that requires more control than simply picking something up and tossing it about.

As for your "massers," it seems like what you'd actually be doing is manipulating the gravitational force as opposed to changing the physical properties of something, which would be more in the wheelhouse of your Alchemists I would think. Gravitational manipulation also leads into the potential to cause time dilation, worm holes, etc.

With your Nuclear mages, what exactly did you have in mind story wise for them? Other than the spectacularly cool explosions, and maybe controlling radiation I think most of what they would be capable of could be handled by one of the other magic wielders. Even then, releasing dangerous rays could be the result of an Alchemist changing an item's properties, and the big boom could be the work of a spectacularly talented Kinetomancer speeding an atom up to the point that it tears itself apart.

Just my two cents.

Ankari

Hero Breaker
Alright, round two,

Scatter hand, Compeller, Longshot

Fastener, Restrainer, Iron Grip,

Deafeners (for those who survive), Lifestealers, Chaos Callers

you could always try to bastardize an existing word that already is synonymous for what your mages can do.

I agree with this idea. One of the things you see in very successful stories is this type of naming. Regardless of what you think of the novels themselves, two successful series are good examples of this: Harry Potter and The Hunger Games. Plus, a bastardized word will help your reader figure out what the power is without your having to employ the dreaded expository clump. I recommend cuddling up with a dictionary and thesaurus and writing down words that appeal to you, plus their synomyns and etimology.

Whatever the case, I guarantee you will be more satisfied with terminology you have chosen and created by yourself.

Good luck!

ThinkerX

Myth Weaver
A person who controls the flow of life in and out of a person is a death mage.

'Necromancer' if used negatively, 'Healer' if used positively.

I need names for the following:

'Telekinesis' (rough translation 'Move at distance') is the technical name for what you are describing. So...'Telekinetic' or possibly 'psionic'.

Might want to fold this one in with your 'Movers', as to me at least, they sound very similiar.

'Pyrokinetic', 'Fire Mage', or 'Ignitor' (the last being an illegal rippoff from latin).

BWFoster78

Myth Weaver
you could always try to bastardize an existing word that already is synonymous for what your mages can do. So something like
'Velocimers' for your movers (a play on the word velocity) or maybe 'thermancer' for your nuclear mage ( uses the word thermal and could imply themo-nuclear when describing how his power works in your story

to be honest, i quite like Masser for your second one. even if its not the 'real' name, and is just what people refer to them as, i think it works well as even a colloquial term for them.

I like both velocimer and thermancer. Not bad.

BWFoster78

Myth Weaver
As for your "massers," it seems like what you'd actually be doing is manipulating the gravitational force as opposed to changing the physical properties of something, which would be more in the wheelhouse of your Alchemists I would think. Gravitational manipulation also leads into the potential to cause time dilation, worm holes, etc.

In my system, an alchemist has control over chemical energy. Not sure what that has to do with gravity. The concept is that each type of energy has an associated mage. Potential energy gave me a lot of trouble at first because I had a hard time separating them from kinetic mages. Then I hit upon the concept that a lot of the basis for potential energy is mass and that changing mass can be a pretty cool ability a la Sanderson in Mistborn.

With your Nuclear mages, what exactly did you have in mind story wise for them? Other than the spectacularly cool explosions, and maybe controlling radiation I think most of what they would be capable of could be handled by one of the other magic wielders. Even then, releasing dangerous rays could be the result of an Alchemist changing an item's properties, and the big boom could be the work of a spectacularly talented Kinetomancer speeding an atom up to the point that it tears itself apart.

The main use of the nuclear mage is as a boogeyman. The theme of the book is all about power, and one person having the ability to blow up entire cities by using the power of his mind is a good reason to rally everyone against him. Kinda makes sense that the nobles would outlaw the use of magic with these guys running around.

I think you're misunderstanding what my alchemist does. Take the chemical reaction that produces a fire: he can create a fire by magically producing the catalyst for the reaction, he can suck all the energy out of a fire to make it go out, he can magnify the energy produced by the fire while having it burn only a little fuel, and he can exert some measure of control over directing the energy of a fire to produce "fiery death rays."

Last edited:

BWFoster78

Myth Weaver
'Telekinesis' (rough translation 'Move at distance') is the technical name for what you are describing. So...'Telekinetic' or possibly 'psionic'.

Yeah. I thought about that and discarded it. I didn't really want to take it in that direction.

Might want to fold this one in with your 'Movers', as to me at least, they sound very similiar.

I'm not sure why they sound similar. The mover takes an object at rest and imparts to it speed and direction. He can make a rock lying on the ground move at someone like a bullet or use an knight's armor to throw the guy in the air (I'm stealing from Sanderson the concept that the mages can't directly influence another person except for a death mage).

The masser can change the mass of an object but can't cause it to move.

Graylorne

Archmage
Neutromancer

Motivator (motivate = to stimulate into action)

Leech (an intelligent leech could perhapes control the flow of life).

shangrila

Inkling
Animaters, Scramblers

Transmuter, Shifter

Levellers (As in, they level the surrounding area.), Enders

BWFoster78

Myth Weaver
Okay, I'm warming more and more to "massers," and I think that "blighters" works pretty well too.

Initially, I chose "velocimers," but it's rapidly falling out of favor. I'm now thinking "kineticists."

Steerpike

Felis amatus
Are you planning on adopting a consistent type of name across the various disciplines? For example, when you have names referring to mass and kinetics, it makes me think of a more science-oriented magic system, where even though scientific principles aren't exactly at work, there is some kind of rigorous, science-like grounding underpinning the whole thing. At least, that would be my first impression based on names like that. I don't think that's a bad thing, btw.