• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Fantasy Character Death Match - Gandalf v. Anakin Skywalker

Mindfire

Istar
Totally. Vader might have a chance, but Anakin? Nope.

Actually, Vader stands even less of a chance than Anakin. Sure, the years of painful, disfigured existence as a cyborg killed his whiny attitude and made him someone not to be screwed with, but he was actually more powerful before he got all his limbs cut off.

Philip Overby

Staff
Article Team
I really wish Anakin would have been cooler in the movies, because even the back story for him in the original trilogy had me thinking he was pretty badass. I guess he still was, but yeah...he whined a lot.

Gandalf wins. Fatality.

Steerpike

Felis amatus
Gandalf shouldn't BE in the finals, but given that he is, I went with him as well :)

Sheilawisz

Queen of Titania
I can recall reading in The Fellowship of the Ring that Gandalf and the other wizards were not allowed to use sheer force against Sauron, instead they were sent to Middle-Earth to be more like moderators of some kind, is that right?? That implied that they had greater destructive power than Tolkien ever described in the story, just they were not allowed to use it =)

Like Aidan said, the fact that Gandalf is a Maiar spirit with a physical body, and not a common magic user (this is quite similar to my own Mages) means that whatever damage inflicted to his body has no effect on Gandalf himself, and this makes him superior to other characters like Anakin!!

I can recall reading in The Fellowship of the Ring that Gandalf and the other wizards were not allowed to use sheer force against Sauron, instead they were sent to Middle-Earth to be more like moderators of some kind, is that right?? That implied that they had greater destructive power than Tolkien ever described in the story, just they were not allowed to use it =)

Like Aidan said, the fact that Gandalf is a Maiar spirit with a physical body, and not a common magic user (this is quite similar to my own Mages) means that whatever damage inflicted to his body has no effect on Gandalf himself, and this makes him superior to other characters like Anakin!!

If I understand correctly they were not allowed to face Sauron personally head on. Their primary objective was to act as councilors to the free peoples to help organize the defense against Mordor. In the end Gandalf was the only one who fulfilled his role. Saruman of course fell to greed and the desire for power, Radagast mysteriously disappeared, but it is implied that he lost interest and became more interested in nature, and no one knows anything about the two blue wizards who went east.

Steerpike

Felis amatus
And the winner is:

GANDALF!

That was cool. What next, fighters? Best fantasy novel? Other ideas?

Philip Overby

Staff
Article Team
I think it would be good to do one with only fighters. No world-wrecking powers or anything like that. But best novel would be good too, because it would be more subjective.

Here are some other ideas (although some may be weird)

Best Villain
Best Setting
Best Fantasy Author
Best Monster
Best Sidekick
Best Party

Hans

Sage
My ideas would be

Best background world.
Best background world army.

Edit: Phil already called best setting.

Last edited:

Steerpike

Felis amatus
This little girl should have been in the death match:

Last edited by a moderator:

Philip Overby

Staff
Article Team
I love that video. I've had it on my playlist for a while now. And yeah, she would have totally crushed most of the competition.

Steerpike

Felis amatus
God I hate dubstep. And I might have to see him next week :eek:

Why are you going to have to go against your will?

I like at least some artists in every genre I can think of. Mostly listen to metal and folk music, but I have a lot in other areas.

Haha I guess I wouldn't have to, but I will be at a music festival with a bunch of friends and unless I want to spend two hours alone in a tent, I'll have to go to Skrillex. I can name exactly two songs I like in the electronic/dubstep genre of music, so no artists.