• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

OK, A fighter death match has been recommended

Steerpike

Felis amatus
We've got a lot of other good recommendations as well. Let's start with fighter, since that idea has been floating around longest. I think we should require that the combatants be fighters who don't also have their own sorcerous powers to bring to the match. For example, Elric is mostly a fighter-type running around with his great black sword, Stormbringer. But he's also a very powerful sorceror, so he's not eligible for this death match.

Looking for nominations. Here are a few to start us off:

Aragorn
Legolas
Eowyn
Druss the Legend
Waylander
Conan
Boudica

Sheilawisz

Queen of Titania
Link from The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time!!

He is basically a fighter with his Hylian shield, Mirror shield, bow and arrows, bombs, bombchu bombs that can climb up walls, Biggoron Longsword, Megaton Hammer, medicine bottles and the Master Sword among other things =)

I have no idea how he carries all that stuff around, though-

Link also has certain magical powers, but those are not really powerful magic like other characters have: Link can create a magical force field around him for a limited time, burn his enemies with a searing shockwave of fire (only reaches limited distance) teleport with certain limitations, use fire/ice arrows and his Mirror shield can deflect magical attacks.

What do you think??

Drizz't, Wulfgar (Salvatore)
Ninefingers (Abercrombie)
Caramon, Tanis (Dragonlance Chronicles, Weiss and Hickman)
Skilganon, Nogusta (Gemmel)
Jaime Lannister, Gregor Clegane (Martin)

I would say take out Eowyn. That's an automatic first round loss to me.

Last edited:

Steerpike

Felis amatus
I don't know, dude. Eowyn took out a Nazgul.

Do you think Caul Shivers should be in there a well? Or just go with Logen?

Sheilawisz

Queen of Titania
Eowyn was brave enough to charge into battle, she fought well and in the end she even dueled the Witch King and killed a freaking Nazgul!! That qualifies her well enough for a Fighters Death Match =)

Now, what about Link?

Hans

Sage
Might I suggest:
Kane (Karl Edward Wagner)
Bran Mak Morn (Robert E. Howard)
Gilgamesh (Mythological)
Enkidu (Mythological)
Orlando (Ludovico Ariosto)
Amadis de Gaula (Garci Rodríguez de Montalvo)
Maybe one or another mythological greek hero.

Last edited:
Also, I wonder if we should give a quick description. It seems like the last match was unfair because people were unfamiliar with many of the characters. We could do something really quick like this:

Waylander: World's most notorious assassin, deadly up to twenty feet with his two-bolt crossbow. Also dangerous with his six throwing knives and sword.

Drizz't: Well-known drow warrior; nine time champion of the drow fighting school Grand Melee. Fights with two magical scimitars, icingdeath and twinkle. Twinkle glows blue when he is in danger and icingdeath absorbs fire, protecting the wielder. Drizz't also wears magical bracers which enhance his already inhuman speed.

Thoughts? I could write a couple more if we want to include these.

I don't know, dude. Eowyn took out a Nazgul.

Do you think Caul Shivers should be in there a well? Or just go with Logen?

I would say that was more luck than anything, but maybe you're right.

I'm still reading First Law so I don't know Shivers. You can decide that one.

Caged Maiden

Staff
Article Team
the descriptions would really help me out because I'm not as familiar with most of these characters as you all seem to be.

Caged Maiden

Staff
Article Team
also, if there are people we could categorize further, maybe it would make things more interesting, say an assassin match or something. I like the idea of narrower categories because when it's too broad, it opens the competition up to whole lot of translation. It's easier when you're comparing people with similar powers.

Oh please do an assassin one. I love assassins. Can we come up with enough to fill the ranks though? If so, I nominate Ezio, my hero.

Caged Maiden

Staff
Article Team
sorry, I had another thought. Can we reuse people, say if they fit into multiple categories? I think it would be fun. I'm getting to know the characters as we play (mostly from the fun banter) and it's inspiring me to read some of these books.

Philip Overby

Staff
Article Team
Are we doing fantasy characters only? It doesn't seem fair to include some SF characters who use guns and lasers.

It's hard to find just straight-up fighters nowadays. They're usually like some kind of hybrid wizard type of thing. (Like the Witcher, Geralt. He'd be a cool entry.)

There are tons of Warhammer characters that would probably fit in, but Gotrek and Felix are the only two I'm familiar with.

Ankari

Hero Breaker
Lan Mandragoran (Robert Jordan)

Kalam (Steven Erickson)

Karsa Oolong (Steven Erickson)

Trull Sengar (Steven Erickson) BTW, he may be the only person to face Karsa Oolong in a one on one match and win.

Philip Overby

Staff
Article Team
Lan Mandragoran (Robert Jordan)

Kalam (Steven Erickson)

Karsa Oolong (Steven Erickson)

Trull Sengar (Steven Erickson) BTW, he may be the only person to face Karsa Oolong in a one on one match and win.

I'm still on Deadhouse Gates so I don't think I've seen any of these yet. But I did read a little bit of Memories of Ice (just because Deadhouse Gates kind of dragged to me compared to Gardens of the Moon). I have heard lots about Karsa Orlong, but never seen him in action.

I'd like to nominate some:

Kull (Robert E Howard)

Bremer dan Gorst (Joe Abercrombie)

The Feared (Joe Abercrombie)

Icarium (Steven Erikson)

Beastmaster (movie)

Death Dealer (Frank Frazetta)

Kitiara uth Matar (Dragonlance)

Cloud (Final Fantasy)

Aldo Montoya (The Princess Bride)

These are just some that came off the top of my head and I think might be cool.

TWErvin2

Auror
Benedict (The Chronicles of Amber)
Bannor (Bloodguard/Haruchai assigned to Protect Thomas Covenant in The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant the Unbeliever)

Sheilawisz

Queen of Titania
What about Link from Ocarina of Time? Will he get accepted into the Fighters Death Match?? He has some Magic of his own, but it's not something that the other Fighters cannot deal with =)

Yeah, I'm sure Steerpike will soon. I still think we should get quick descriptions going. For instance, Ankari says that Karsa Oolong and Trull Sengar are the only two who stand a chance. I have never read about either, so it is hard for me to imagine them having a huge advantage over, for instance, Drizzt. I think descriptions would help those of us who haven't seen these characters in action to vote.