• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Character Crossover Thread?

Mindfire

Istar
Sure I have some characters I could put up. Shall I list them As Ireth did or just their names or what?

Ultimately it's your decision who you put in, within reason, but if you're looking for suggestions, a brief bio with personality details would be helpful.

Ireth

Myth Weaver
Thanks Ireth. I think we should get some kind of rough rule system and then Amanita can add it into her OP. I'd have preferred that we'd gotten the rules settled before she made it, but whatever. What's done is done. Let's have fun with it!

Something else to consider: Can vampires/werewolves from one world "infect" people from other worlds? Or would they have interdimensional immunity? What kind of differences would their be between strains of vampirism or lycanthropy from different worlds? My world doesn't have vampires. Does this mean my characters are immune? Or are they more susceptible due to lack of exposure? Given the supernatural origin of vampires and the nature of my world's cosmology I would argue for immunity.

I agree, immunity sounds like the way to go.

@Ireth: I'd need more information on your characters' personalities to give any useful suggestions. Also, how can your WiP include references to Middle-Earth? I think Tolkien's Legendarium is still firmly under copyright and has not (and will never I think) entered the public domain.

Ah, guess i should have been more specific. Dunehelden is an online RP started by a few of my friends, which I later joined, and then started a spinoff of my own with another friend when the original RP died. The new RP is a private thing between that friend and I, and we've basically done whatever we want with it, including crossing over into LOTR (hey, it's fanfic, and it's not like we're using any canon characters aside from brief cameos).

It just occurred to me that I haven't actually included any of my novels in that list, aside from that one section under Conall that talks about Low Road. Brb, going to revise. *scurries away*

Mindfire

Istar
Rules and Guidelines

Some basic rules and guidelines for the Interdimensional Cantina.

Power Levels:
The Interdimensional Cantina has a tiered system. The system exists for 3 reasons:
-To prevent overpowered characters.
-To discourage severely under-powered characters.
-To help resolve fights.

Except for those three situations, the tier system is fairly meaningless and as such is not meant to be strict.

d6llt.jpg

Here's how it works. Essentially, if your character can easily defeat a character shown on the chart he/she is (probably) on a higher tier than they are. When you reach the point where your character would have trouble winning, then you know you're getting to the proper tier. Please note that magic-users generally skew toward higher tiers while ordinary warriors may skew to lower tiers unless they have supernatural skill sets or weapons, like elves.

Characters who are on a level with Gandalf* are pushing it. Characters more powerful than Gandalf are generally overpowered. Characters who even come close to being on a level with the Valar have reached the vanishing point of reason. Please don't go there. Likewise, any character who would have trouble fighting an ordinary hobbit**, while not automatically a candidate for exclusion, is probably not a wise choice. Try not to enter a character who's going to have a hard time just surviving unless you want to make him/her a target.

Brawls:
Fights are inevitable and not to be discouraged, so long as they are in character and there isn't any godmodding/bullying/overpoweredness. The outcome of the fight will be decided by the authors involved. If they are having trouble deciding a victor between them, they may ask for a vote, a third party opinion, or a coin toss.

Character Deaths:
Character deaths are governed by the consent of the character's author. Period. You can't kill someone's character without their permission. Should be obvious.

Character Cap:
You can have at most two characters active. Here active means, "presently engaged in the 'story'". A character that leaves the cantina for whatever reason is now no longer active and may be "replaced". But try not to do this too much or it may get confusing. Also try to avoid letting your own characters interact solely other characters you have created. That rather misses the point.

Plot:
Will be made up as we go along.

General Etiquette:
-If you want to fight someone, make sure they're willing to "play along" first.
-Don't post too many times in a row or take over the thread in order to steal the spotlight for your character. This is called thread jacking (or at least I call it that) and it is a nuisance.
-Let's keep this SFW. That is all.
-As a reminder, the Powers That Be have BANNED all political discussions on this forum. DO NOT use your character as a mouthpiece or a soapbox to advance your views or opinions. It's one thing if a character just so happens to hold a certain opinion, but once you get preachy and/or inflammatory, it will become obvious.

Interdimensional Immunity:
For the sake of simplicity, all characters will be, by default, immune to all diseases from a universe alien to them. It does not matter whether that disease is leprosy, extradimensional influenza, vampirism, zombification, or lycanthropy. Vampires from one universe cannot turn characters from another universe, etc. Magic however can affect characters from other universes, just don't abuse it.

The One Rule to...er... Rule Them All:
Author consent trumps EVERYTHING. Well everything except godmodding, political soapboxing, and thread jacking.

If I missed anything let me know.

*Taking into account the fact that Gandalf is an immortal maiar spirit/angel/demigod here.

**By "ordinary" I mean, "non-adventuring".

Last edited:

Mindfire

Istar
Okay so how do we interact? Through small paragraphs of character dialogue?

Dialogue + some description, similar to writing a story, but keeping in mind that you're interacting with someone else's character. As such, it's good form to let them write their own dialogue. But we're trying to keep this pretty informal.

Amanita

Maester
Well, sorry for starting to jump forward on my own and than staying away for hours (to sleep). Might not have been such a good idea, I admit. I didn't think that we'd need a strict system of rules for this, but given what has been happening during the last days, this probably was quite stupid of me.
If you prefer it, I don't mind if my thread is deleted and we start a new, I don't think anything violating any rules has happend so far though.

Last edited:

Ireth

Myth Weaver
I think starting over might be a good idea. At least we're only two posts in. XD We could just copy and paste our posts over to the new thread after someone makes it and posts the rules first. Though I'm not sure when I'd be able to do that, as I might be going out for the day.

Mindfire

Istar
So... are we starting over or not? Also, I think we need to send out some invitations and get more people involved.

Ireth

Myth Weaver
I'm all for starting over if you are. With permission, I could copy and paste stuff into a new thread.

Ireth

Myth Weaver
I could edit it out. I just didn't want to duplicate the original thread's title exactly, for the sake of avoiding confusion.

Ireth

Myth Weaver
Yup. I'm waiting for Amanita, as she was the one who started last time. Would have posted her stuff in there myself, but it seemed rude so I decided not to.

I think that characters should be able to come and go as long as we only have a max of two characters in at any given time. My character's have work they need to do so they may have to leave every once in a while. Trust me, if I let them stay too long I'll never get them back to work!

Ireth

Myth Weaver
Since this is a non-canon thread, not to mention inter-dimensional, I think we can assume it's also kind of unstuck from the normal flow of time, however it is in everyone's particular stories. So even if one's characters spend hours here, they might not be gone more than a moment or two in their own respective worlds. That's my humble opinion and two cents.

@R.S.Robertson: It's been an hour now, and no sign of a post from Amanita. Should I wait a little longer, since people in different timezones will obviously have different schedules, or just go ahead and post my own stuff now?

My opinion... let's get this rolling!

I like the no loss of time thing but I think I may still take my character out and bring her back as required by her job. That is, if no one else minds. Besides, Father O'Leary already suspects that Mrs. Smith is up to things that she shouldn't be up to and he's still pretty upset about a comment she made during the food drive last week. I don't think he would care for her spending too much time in an inter-dimensional cantina, even if hardly any time passed in Aurora while she was away.