• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Character Crossover Thread?

Amanita

Maester
Well, holidays are over and this means busy days for me, therefore no post so far. I'm not sure if I want to coply my character post into the other thread, so it's okay that you didn't. I'm not sure if the place that's been created now with the new rules, power levels and so on is the right one for her... Might bring another character or none at all, but haven't decided so far.

Ireth

Myth Weaver
Well, to be fair, the rules were created while the old thread was still being in use, and then we decided to start over after they'd been established. Luckily we didn't get too far in before the restart.

Sheilawisz

Queen of Titania
In my opinion it's better to have two separate Interdimensional Cantinas: The first should have rules so that the characters go there to meet other characters peacefully and be just friends, and the second would be the cantina where power levels are important as fights can break out.

Ireth

Myth Weaver
I like the Cantina as it is, personally. I just hope the thread doesn't end up dying like almost every other RP I've joined/made. :/

Sheilawisz

Queen of Titania
Making our characters fight could end up with we fighting ourselves, I am not sure about this...

Amanita

Maester
Well, I did copy my post now. Probably going to send someone with more fighting experience to Lenima's aid though. ;)

I like the idea of the cantina as a free-form kind of place where any number of things can happen, just like any other bar, pub or cantina.

My characters aren't interested in fighting with anyone and I can't imagine a reason for anyone to want to fight with them, so their power levels don't really matter one way or the other. After all, Mrs. Smith is friends with half-demons, a couple vampires, a clan of werewolves, goblins and a priest... she's far more interested in information and cultural peace than in starting bar brawls and at 5'1" she would probably lose anyway!

My point is that we don't really need two cantinas as anything can happen. Who knows, someone may meet their perfect match, find that guy who can get them under the city gates undetected, gather the perfect bit of intelligence to solve their current mystery, or just get drunk, beat up and wake up in the morning with one heck of a headache.

And Ireth... If Jason ever wants to drop into Aurora to paint the scenery just let me know, Mrs. Smith has a spare room she never minds letting the more unusual elements of town crash in for a few days.

Amanita

Maester
The problem I see with fights are the great differences between various characters' fighting styles and abilites. It's extremely hard to put them into "categories of power" because it's hard to compare their skills, weapons and so on. That's why I didn't like the idea of fights using these things. Fights with words or things like fists which are the same for everyone are a different matter. ;)
Another problem I see with this are people's reactions to seeing this kind of thing. What my characters do to each other when fighting with their elemental powers within my stories is very nasty and doesn't fall under anyone's defintion of fair fighting either. I really wouldn't want to do something like that to someone else's character here. This might be similar for some of the other settings with vampires and the like.
What do you think about this?

Ireth

Myth Weaver
I agree, fights will be difficult if everyone has different styles and skills. Fortunately for me, neither of my characters are very inclined to fight unless it's a matter of life and death.

Fights aren't the most common thing that happens in a setting like this. A "villain" or a "hero" may just want a relaxing mug of their favorite alcoholic beverage after a long day on the job. Villain and that sort may just want to discuss various torture techniques or even discuss their favorite books, heroes may want to brag about their latest setbacks, mentors may debate methods of training thick-headed heroes, and sidekicks probably want to swap jokes.

When I go into a bar I rarely ever see massive fights break out, no matter how many tough types are hanging around. As for fighting style's being different, of course they would be and, depending on where the character being attacked was from, they probably wouldn't be equipped to deal with another fantasy dimensions style, power, or even reasoning for starting a fight.

Maybe there should be a sign above the bar warning against fights, maybe stating that the bartender has the ability to poof the culprit or something. I don't know. Personally, I wouldn't start a fight for no reason and I doubt most of my characters, well except maybe Clyde whose a bit of an idiot anyway, would either.

As a side note... In Aurora, vampires aren't allowed to bite anyone without their permission, they have to go to Nevada for that kind of bad behavior!

Mindfire

Istar
Hey guys, I thought about increasing the character limit from two to three. Only problem is that with too many characters, things might start to get confusing. What say you? Shall we have a vote on it?

Ireth

Myth Weaver
I think the only reason one should have three characters active at a time is if at least one is a villain. Otherwise it might get too confusing with so many people at once.

Mindfire

Istar
I think the only reason one should have three characters active at a time is if at least one is a villain. Otherwise it might get too confusing with so many people at once.

Very true. Two is the preferred number I think, but we can make exceptions for villains.