• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Help with magic

Okay so, a while back I posted a thread about my magic system and got a lot of great help, but now I'm stuck again and could use some feedback. I want to perfect my magic system as best as I can because it is the only true fantasy element I plan on using and it is basically what causes my plot.

Magic is psychic powers caused by a virus only found on the Island of Greer (a made up kingdom near Europe during the middle ages). Powers include mind reading, visions of the past, control of elements, and heightened senses. My biggest problem is finding a way to clearly seperate these different powers so that each of my main characters are limited in what they can do. (having them be so limited is very important to my plot.)

This virus is contagious and spreads like the common cold. It is generally not a life threatening illness. It begins with coughing, high fever, and other flu/cold like symptoms. After a week, the majority of people begin to get better, but in rare cases (usually ones that involve children), the virus can make it's way to the brain where it causes irreversable changes, which results in "magic" powers.

There are many different strands of this virus, with each strand responsible for one unique power. Once contracting a perticular strand, the immune system builds up a resistance to that strand, so that each person can become ill with that strand once and only once (even if they do not get magic powers). However, they are still vulnerable to other strands.

Once a strand of this virus makes it's way to the brain, it starts reeking havoc. Normal brain functions are interrupted as areas of the brain are "rewired" in ways that produce powers such as mind reading. Symptoms include severe headaches, dizziness, blurry vision, and nausea. This lasts for another seven-ten days before subsiding. The immune system finally gets rid of the virus and normal brain functions return. This part can be fatal. During this time, people begin to experience their powers. After healing, all symptoms are gone and other than magic powers, there are no lasting effects on the person.

People can have more than one power, but as this depends on surviving two different strands infecting the brain, it is basically unheard of. Also if a person is going to get a power, it usually happens in childhood because by adulthood most people have been exposed to many strands and adults have stronger immune systems than children.

I know I need to do some more work, but this is what I have so far. I'm trying to create as unique of a system as I can. Which by the way is much harder than I thought it would be, especially when using psychic powers found commonly in fantasy stories. So my questions are, is this original? Does it work? If not where did I go wrong?

Personally, I think it's unique, especially in a fantasy as it seems rare that magic abilities are caused by virus in fantasies. My only concern, and perhaps you've already addressed this, is how common the knowledge about viruses and other causes of disease was in the middle ages. Perhaps they have a better grasp of these things in your world or perhaps they have other ways of explaining them?

I'm not trying to be critical, I know how hard it is to create unique and subtle magical systems AND I really like your idea.

Queshire

Auror
I would suggest not having it spread like the common cold. Especially seeing how getting a second strain after getting powers from the first is a death sentence, with it being spread like the common cold, wouldn't it only be a matter of time until they get infected with another strain?

Honestly, I'm a bit concerned that you're over thinking this. Magic is supposed to be vague, mystical. It's OK if you simply say that some people come down with an illness and when they get better they have powers, and it's unheard of to have two powers and then simply make sure that remains internally consistent.

Ankari

Hero Breaker
I would suggest that these viruses are not desired. Why would anyone not want to contract these viruses? I would see this develop into the sick contaminating everything and everyone the can to spread such a virus as it's beneficial. Perhaps it's not a common cold but a deadly virus. Perhaps people lose a sensory function in exchange. I would think the first option is better, though

The multiple strand thing is a cool notion. From what you're describing, unless the virus is blood based, it does not pass down to the descendants of those infected. Actually, the opposite would probably occur, they would be immune to such a virus.

ThinkerX

Myth Weaver
Hmmm...for story purposes, you are going a tad overboard with 'virus'. To the people on this island, it would simply be a 'sickness' - the 'mind fever' or some such. The 'virus' part is something you'd stick in a one page introduction or in what are now termed 'extras'.

That said, you have the problem of survivors or differing strains of the illness ending up with differing abilities - particularly the divide between the 'elemental' abilities, which directly affect the physical world, and the more 'mental' ones - visions, enhanced senses, and the like. Tying the virus to the mental abilities is a pretty good idea, though I'd maintain you'd still have some overlap: a mind reader, for example, might be able to touch an object, and gain a brief glimpse of a scene or two in the objects past.

I don't quite get your rational for limiting the disease geographically, but that is a minor point.

The big stumbling block, though, is the elemental abilities - these appear to be a different animal altogether. I do have a solution of sorts, though:

those with elemental powers do not get them through the virus. My suggestion here is that these people are the knowing or unknowing decendants of priestly families once dedicated to Gods of Water, Wind, Earth, and the like. (Ancient priesthoods usually were hereditary). These Gods blessed the families in question with the ability to work minor miracles with which to gull the faithful. Over time, though, the cults faded away, and the priestly families dissipated into the general populace - but, every now and again, a descendant with these abilities will still turn up. Maybe such characters will find themselves drawn to the sites of the old temples, or their parents or grandparents will have a story or three passed down from the days when they were priests. Posibly, there is a seemingly harmless or utterly unimportant ritual passed down in these families that will awaken this inherited magic once in a rare while.

Last edited:

Caliburn

The virus take is unique. One of the things I love about this website is how many different ways people reinvent and reinterpret something as ubiquitous as magic.

"My biggest problem is finding a way to clearly seperate these different powers so that each of my main characters are limited in what they can do."

Maybe the virus could manifest different symptoms in different people, rather than having multiple strains?

As others have said, it could be important not to understate the negative aspects of the condition (you already mentioned some symptoms). Furthermore since this is a unique spin on magic, the actual illness symptoms might be a good opportunity to focus on what makes your magic system unique (and not just "more psychic powers" as you were concerned about).

As for whether it works or not, I think others have answered the question better than I could. As a reader, I am more concerned with the impression something makes on me than the absolute machinery of the thing. The idea of magic being a disease would be what piques my interest as a reader (along with emotional investment in the characters, of course).