• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

my characters have a chance to talk with a god - what would your say?

gavintonks

Maester
Yawaah? Looks an awful lot like Yahweh. That strikes me as a bit odd, since Yahweh is the one true God in Judeo-Christian faith. Some people might not appreciate that association in a polytheistic context. Just a warning.

There are thousands of years of written history and the gods are reinvented, their is a table somewhere of how the phoenics changed as language changed but basically Yahwaah is a storm god from ancient sumeria

gavintonks

Maester
I have one Christian [reborn/ newborn] who has politely refused to edit after reading the book as it sort of offended her sensibilities, but at the end of the day my world is not earth so people must respect the fantasy aspect as it has nothing to do with any religion Christian or otherwise.
I have a fiends wife who refuses to speak to me for a couple of reasons but one of them she banned her kids from watching Harry Potter so when a clip came up on tv I said kids will have to gouge their eyes out after seeing it - I thought it was funny, but am banned hahahah

Chargo

Acolyte
Have you read American Gods? I feel like that book is a perfect example for this situation, and the solution Gaiman uses is to just talk to them like normal people.

It really depends on who your 'god' is. If your God is an all-powerful, all-knowing creator kind of god they don't seem to talk to anyone and when they do they don't waste words. If your god is a Roman or Greek god they'd probably treat the mortals as playthings, or idiots.
The anatomy of fantasy gods would be an interesting subject to discuss. What kind of powers would they have to have? Why do they insist on human worship or sacrifice? Do they have any morals at all? It's all up to the writer. What kind of god do you want?

gavintonks

Maester
most 'big' gods are storm gods and the the thunder and lightening one is the ruler, the oldest human religion still being practiced Zoraster says god is father time and chaos and he has twins born who each take on a bit, creation and creative destruction.

General consensus are humans made as slaves to do things so they could lay around and abuse them.
So yes your definition of a god is interesting. mostly the pantheon of gods are just reinvented so Mesopotamia, became Egypt and the Nile and finally landed up as Greek and Roman

So I think the definition is a being able to unbind your existence with a withering stare because you are rude.
Th other gods of course are nature being appollo as the sun and baccus / which is his older incarnation and a reflection of the destructive creation so he is the light and the devil in two different personifications

Robert Donnell

Minstrel
Carries hat in hand, "Please sir, there seems to be some disagreement down here on Earth, how, exactly does one get into heaven?"

Queshire

Istar
Personally I prefer the Japanese idea of gods or Kami where everything has a god devoted to it from each individual blade of grass to the sun itself and the powers of the gods can vary. That said, I am of the opinion that just because something can utterly destroy you is no reason to worship it, fear maybe, but not worship. We don't worship bears or guns or black holes, so *shrug*

Mind you, I'm not trying to bash any religion by saying that, simply that I seriously hope that nobody worships something JUST out of its destructive power.

gavintonks

Maester
Personally I prefer the Japanese idea of gods or Kami where everything has a god devoted to it from each individual blade of grass to the sun itself and the powers of the gods can vary. That said, I am of the opinion that just because something can utterly destroy you is no reason to worship it, fear maybe, but not worship. We don't worship bears or guns or black holes, so *shrug*

Mind you, I'm not trying to bash any religion by saying that, simply that I seriously hope that nobody worships something JUST out of its destructive power.

well you can change to being a HIndi then you can empower them as gods, as you recognize god in the stuff