• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

A Perspective Character on Drugs

Aqua Buddha

Scribe
I've got a perspective character who is high on "blue mushrooms" during half of the story. When I go to write scenes from his perspective, I find it rough presenting his view of things without it becoming absurdly funny.

How do you handle a drugged out perspective character? This is tough.

What do the blue mushrooms do?
Once I know that, I'll reply more comprehensively. It varies on how the character is high.
But basically, try and focus on the situation as much as possible, and only let humour into situations when you just can't hold back.

kolchak

Acolyte
Especially with hallucinogens, what the person experiences is directly reflective of their state of mind and 9 times out of 10 it is very very serious. Try and think what this experience on this drug can tell us about who the person is, through their actions, or thought processes. Stream of consciousness shifting into other narrative styles can have the jarring impact necessary to lend seemingly absurd statements or imagery a sinister and serious quality. How important these things are to the wellbeing of the character is a huge factor determining the weight of the narrative as well.

Ravana

Istar
Difficult to answer without knowing your personal experiences with drugs. One problem–this might be the one you're facing, or part of it–is that people who are hallucinating often do things that are incredibly funny to those around them, no matter what the individual's subjective experience is. That can't really be helped. Just remember that when you're presenting the character's perspective, his perceptions and actions will almost certainly seem quite serious to him… at least apart from the times he finds something amusing, in which case it'll seem amazingly funny to him, whether it does to anyone else or not.

The best description I've heard of the mental disposition of someone on the more powerful hallucinogens is that you can tell them "Look at the wall!"… and they will. Intently. Raptly. For an hour. Or until something else intrudes itself upon their attention. Sort of the opposite of ADD, in a way.…

Last edited by a moderator: