• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Hey!

nlough

Troubadour
Hello everyone, I'm nlough, I love writing and started in high school. I mainly write screenplay and teleplays, but I occasionally attempt short stories. I'll probably be posting excerpts and short stories on this site and see what people think. Have fun writing everyone!

Caged Maiden

Staff
Article Team
Welcome to the community. It takes all sorts, and I'm glad you're jumping right in. Can't wait to see your posts.

Rikilamaro

Inkling
Welcome to the Scribes!

I was just at the End of the Universe and I didn't see you. Maybe next time.

Let us know how we can help.

Chilari

Staff
Welcome to the forum.

I've never attempted to write for screen before. It'd certainly be cool to have something I've written on TV, and one of my background projects is an adaption of a myth for TV in six parts, but I've got no further than dividing the story up into different episodes and a couple of character sketches. Any tips?

nlough

Troubadour
Welcome to the forum.

I've never attempted to write for screen before. It'd certainly be cool to have something I've written on TV, and one of my background projects is an adaption of a myth for TV in six parts, but I've got no further than dividing the story up into different episodes and a couple of character sketches. Any tips?

You have some ground work laid out already, which is excellent. The big thing you'd want to do is before you start writing fully develop your characters. You want to know your characters inside and out and you want to know more than you'll use. Some big things you'll want to include in you character descriptions are back story (very important), character flaws (big and small), hobbies, nicknames (origin of the nickname), age, sex lives, how they talk, style, demeanor, children (If they have any and how they interact with them), job(s) (Likes and dislikes), where they live (interaction with neighbors), pets (relation with them), and parents/in laws. Possibly a description too if you know exactly how they want to look, usually I just have a vague description in my mind, cause if you're to descriptive in how your character looks; which isn't a bad thing, but then it might be a little difficult to cast someone. Again not a bad thing if you do, some people actually want a full description, but it's up to you. Since you're adapting this from a myth then you'll probably be able to ascertain details on some of your characters, if they're in the myth. If you're on sure about something about one of the characters from the myth then do some research or use your own interpretation. I keep track of all my character descriptions whether they're a main character or not and usually for my main characters I have a bout four pages of notes.

When you're all done with your character descriptions and are ready to work on the first episode, try to have an idea of how you want to go. Sometimes I do a scene by scene write up on index cards, have the scene number and a brief description as well as some key points, and other times I just sit at my computer and write. Sometimes one works and the other doesn't and the other times the other one works and the first one doesn't. As long as you know your story you should be find. The best tip I can give you is to just keep writing, if you like an idea but not sure how it will affect the story in the long run, then write it down on an index card or in a notebook and keep with the project so you don't lose it.

When you do start writing this you'll probably want to write in screenplay format. There are a few programs that will help out and automatically put it in the correct format. The industry standard is Final Draft; which runs for a hefty price Final Draft® 8 - the #1-selling scriptwriting software program but there's also a program called Montage; which allows you to save the file as a final draft project and it's a lot cheaperhttps://www.marinersoftware.com/products/montageapp/. Hope these tips are helpful and if you have any other questions on writing screenplays and teleplays feel free to ask.