• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Dipping my feet in.

J. S. Elliot

Inkling
Well, I actually stumbled across this site through boredom-induced Facebook prowling. But, let's not get into that.

I've been writing for about five years now, but unfortunately my queue of finished stories is limited to the "Old Shame" pile that won't see the light of day again ... except to poke fun at them. My main problem isn't that I don't have enough ideas, but rather, too many. It's not uncommon for me to balance four or five ideas at once, if only because I have trouble focusing on just one. And when you count in my perfectionism, meaning slow output, it's no small surprise my written work is small when compared to the sheer mass of ideas lying in wait.

The main genre that I enjoy is Fantasy, but I've been getting my feet wet in Science Fiction and - most recently - Survival Horror (zombie/mutation-type ... stuff).

It looks like this is a pretty solid community, though, so I look forward to both giving and getting feedback.

Welcome to the Scribes Selene, if you need anything just bellow. This is a pretty intriguing place as you have no doubt seen, so feel free to browse around.

J. S. Elliot

Inkling
Thank you for the warm welcome, Aidan. And, yeah, Scribes is definitely a nice place thus far. I'm sure I'll enjoy my stay. ^^

Chilari

Staff
Welcome to the Scriptorium (if I use that word enough it's bound to catch on, right?)

What you've experienced as far as having lots of projects and never getting far with any of them is normal. I'm meant to be dedicated to a novel I'm currently in the planning stage of, to begin on July 1st, but yesterday I went back to a story I was working on a little while ago, to try to work through the problems with it. It's far too easy to get distracted by ideas, new or old.

J. S. Elliot

Inkling
Hehe, Scriptorium? That works. ^^

Well, that's pretty good to hear. A couple of my other writing friends are a bit baffled at how I can't focus on just one story, XD, especially since I have a couple titles they really want to read. (A waiting audience is definitely a good thing, if I could write faster.)

It's nice to meet you, though, Chilari. ^^

Chilari

Staff
Oh yes, non-writers never understand how we can change projects so often. They always ask "how's the story coming along?" and depending on when I last spoke with them, the answer is usually "which story?" followed by an explanation of what I'm working on now.

J. S. Elliot

Inkling
Hehe, well, what's the 'issue' is that three of my usual readers are writers themselves. Only one has the same problem as me, XD. So the other two are generally "another story?". ^_^"

Ireth

Myth Weaver
Oh yes, non-writers never understand how we can change projects so often. They always ask "how's the story coming along?" and depending on when I last spoke with them, the answer is usually "which story?" followed by an explanation of what I'm working on now.

I get that all the time. XDDD

J. S. Elliot

Inkling
Hehe, thanks, Riki, I appreciate it. I'm usually not much of a facebook person, but sometimes you just get really, really bored. ^_^"

I hope to see you around, though.