• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Wheel of Time Series

Kelise

Maester
Trying not to peak at the rest of the thread, but I come here with an important question ;)

If I were a terrible person and a hopeless excuse for a fantasy reader and writer, and hadn't started the Wheel of Time series yet... would you suggest that I start with Book One: The Eye of The World or with Prequel: The Strike at Shayol Ghul?

Start with the REAL prequel.... New Spring.. I actually enjoyed that book.. it tells of the guy.. what the hell's his name Rand or something.. it tells of his birth on the mountain and the beginning of the fall of the white tower. it actually made me want to read the series till I read like a chapter out of the first book x.x

myrddin173

Maester
I still have not read New Spring so it might be better to read it first however I would start with Book One and read the prequel a couple books in.

Ophiucha

Auror
I'm not a fan. Jordan's style reminds me of Martin's, but without any of the substance to make it worth pushing through. And while I don't mind Sanderson's writing (I've read Mistborn), I can't stand him after listening to his podcast (Writing Excuses or whatever). So I'm hesitant to go through the effort of reading the entire series to end it off with him.

I tend to read what's supposed to be first... well first LOL just cause it SAYS it's book one doesn't mean it's the true first book just means it was the first written. I'd tried to read the first wheel of time book and it confused me until I read New Spring which explains everything that will happen in the series. It talks about the prophecy in more detail then book one did and it really was one of the better books I've read in awhile surprisingly enough x.x

gavintonks

Maester
The book 11 is at least bringing threads together and bringing closure. Eleven touches on everything that was hanging in the series, so it remains to be sen what the final conclusion will be.

Artless

Minstrel
Am I actually in a Fantasy fans forum?

I can't believe the hating going on with respect to WoT.

I first stumbled across WoT when I was 12 or 13, and have been reading it ever since. It is, Quite simply, the greatest fantasy story I have ever read. And I've read pretty much most of the great authors out there.
Sure its long. Thats because it's an Epic story. It is easy to read, the characters are easy to engage and sympathize with, and needs to be re-read many times in order to fully grasp the story (That might be just because I read to fast though).
Now, there is a point halfway through where I struggled, but only on the first read through. It actually became one of my favourite storylines on the next read through. Now that doesn't happen with many fantasy series.
It is not pretentious, it doesn't repeat itself like every Shannara trilogy does, and its a series that will keep you occupied for a long time.
The world is fantastically well built, with so very much history behind it. I would sell my soul to be able to read Jordan's notebooks with respect to the history behind the world, and the stories he never got a chance to tell.
Sanderson does an incredible job continuing the story, and I cant wait till the final book is released, so I can go back and read them all over again. And Again. And Again.

You really are doing yourself a disservice if you don't read this series.

But hey, that's my opinion. :)

Read the prequel. i wish i had it gives so much more information into the books

i agree the WOT series is an amazing find for anyone who reads it. what Jordan made with the richness of the books was amazing.
the diffrent factions he made with in them; Aiel, forsaken, Dark-friends, and Aies-sedai give a deepness to the story. each having their own back stories and hatred towards other factions. it seemed to create a weaving tapestry that the reader got jitters reading.
also using the PFV of certain characters to show different sides of the things happening within the story is always something i enjoyed. it gives a certain...richness to the whole thing. every person in the books has their own Background and they all connect with one other in one way or another. i've read books were the author brings up a character that interacts with the main person, and then disappears never to be heard from again. but Mr. Jordan only seemed to bring one in if it had a major role with in the story. such as the man that gave Al'Thor and Cauthon a ride in his cart when Cauthon was enthralled by that evil dagger...he shows up again later.
also i wanted to put in the different..well i can only describe them as races. the Aiel, Seachan, Seafarers and such. each has their own views of the world and Jordan shows that off. making the WOT realm ( to me at lest) a rich and satisfying read that makes you want to comeback again and again.

and yes i am happy to see that Sanderson has kept up on the Magic the Jordan used to create the series

RIP Robert jordan

Last edited:

Artless

Minstrel
Completely Agree.
Even more than GRRM Jordan has made me laugh, cry, cringe and cheer with his characters. And Sanderson in the last books even more so.
Masterful storytelling.
I dont think the prequel is needed in order to understand the story though, I didnt read the prequel until probably the 8th or 9th book. But I had re-read the series so many times I knew what the story was I guess.
I loved the prequel because it shows us Lan,
and explains more why he has no wish to lead an Army, and it's amusing how Nynaeve echoes his first love in the later books.

I can't believe the hating going on with respect to WoT.

If you read through the rest of the forums, you will find that just about every author/series comes in for some hate from someone. No one author is the be all/end all of fantasy, as much as we all like to think our favorite authors are. None of them are perfect, so everyone grips and complains some even about their favorites. Logically the more high profile and well exposed your writing is, the more people will take shots at you for something. (especially easy with Jordan since he's dead and can't dodge...)

Chris Conley

Dreamer
I gave up on the series after book eight. It started strongly, but there was just so much unnecessary dragging in the middle parts. I also had a sinking suspicion that the poor guy was going to die before finishing, which turned out to be true... which really sucked. I'd always intended to plow through the rest "once it was finished."
Being a Sanderson fan, I'll probably still do that once the last book gets released.

Joseph Turpin

it took me literely months to get past the first... 5 chapters of the first book. but i loved the rest. granted it did kinda go...south after book 6, but brandon is doing a great job with the series. i think the two books he has done are my favorites.

Kaellpae

Inkling
Wheel of time was what got me into Epics like that. I love having long stories to just immerse myself in another world. It's one of the series that made me finally decide I wanted to try and write something of my own.

For the series though. 1-4 are awesome. 5-9 are slow and boring as far as action goes. But what it sets up for in 10-13 is really good. I'm eager to see the ending. And dreading it as well.

As for Sanderson. He's done an awesome job picking the pace of the series up. I know it's near the end and it's the Last Battle. Or leading up to it. So naturally it will be picking up pace even if Jordan wrote it by himself. But Sanderson is staying true to the series.

Thaumicist

Dreamer
For any who may not know: The Eye of the World was published in a 'YA edition', which basically meant it was split into two books with larger text and a 'special prologue'.

It was this I had the misfortune to find in my school library.

No disrespect to Jordan's memory or fans: I can understand why people like this series, but I just don't understand why they like it so much. I had to force myself to finish the special prologue, and if a fourteen-year-old can tell from the first page that your work is hopelessly mired in cliche, then somewhere, something's gone wrong. Things improved - I liked isolated patches of description in the early chapters - but only slightly, and very briefly. In the end I gave up halfway through the "second" book, and I'll never pick up a Jordan book again. Doubtless there are worse-written novels out there, and slower-moving ones, and more obvious Tolkien pastiches, and even some with sillier names for things than 'The Mountains of Dhoom'. I only hope I shall never encounter one.

Thaumacsit try reading the adult version with the original prologue. You'll be intrigued with it. As you continue into the seires you will notice that the cliches end and quickly starting with the Great hunt, the original book two. I am reminded of a certain barn door scene, for the seasoned you will know what I am talking about. Try the adult versions and have fun with it.

I took the easy route and got them in an audio form. On book....five or six...lost actual count, but when someone else is reading it, it goes pretty well. It's funny but some books I could never read, I can listen to. I've still a ways to go, but I am still interested in it.

Wolfen

Acolyte
I thought it was Jordan's wife who called Sanderson after Jordan's death. She had read something Sanderson had written about how the WoT series had affected him growing up, and as he became a fantasy writer.

Johnny Cosmo

Inkling
I haven't read them, but I did some reading about the universe, and have a friend who loves them. The things I read and was told seemed really cliche to me. I still plan on giving them a go, after I've got some other books out of the way.

tecdavid

Acolyte
Although I enjoy the series dearly, and will be making a start on Boon 9 soon, I must agree with what many others tend to point out - the series' latter half trudges along at a snail's pace. Now, I don't necessarily mind, as I understand there's a tremendous amount of intricacy that needs its background and goings-on to be clarified, and perhaps it was necessary for Jordan to take the time and space he did, but I can easily see why others would lose their patience.
But it's that very intricacy that impresses me so. There are many sides to the Wheel of Time's story, and as such, events which take place deep into the series are hinted at right from Book 1. I find Jordan's forward planning and maze-like use of depth quite impressive.