• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

... connecting the dots

Keku

Acolyte
Greetings All -

Through a series of "connecting the dots" (one of my mentors calls it "following the breadcrumbs") while I was doing some research on The Third Eye in the wee hours of the morning, I fell head first into your site. Something like when Alice decides to take a sample out of the Drink Me bottle. That's how life has been... pretty fun, odd, and full of surprises.

Fantasy often times has been more real to me than not.
I'm an avid reader - love my Kindle Fire... puts a whole new spin on a favorite childhood game of mine: pretending to be in a tent, reading past my bedtime by flashlight.

I'm an artist. I've been doodling, painting, writing short stories, poetry, dream recall (not sure if there's a title to writing out dreams that stick with you intensely. I call them "dreams that leave a taste in my mouth").

I've spent the majority of my "professional" life creating letterforms. Some call those of us in the community "Scribes" - imagine that! I've taught for guilds around the US teaching my style of lettering - avant garde in relation to what most think of when they encounter the word Calligraphy. I work with tools that are painterly, chaotic, refined... I think at one time I had a playpen in the Expressionist era.

During a series of challenging events over the past few years, I recoiled into a semi-hibernative state. A doorway into fantasy mmo's opened, I entered, and didn't look back. I became completely enchanted with the Lore, the visuals, settings, and ability to create an avatar worthy of my artistic passion. Plenty left to be desired - I wanted to create jewelry for her, design her clothes, choose her mode of transportation, and most of all create her storyline beyond the capabilities of game developers.

I came out of hibernation sometime within the past year, and have been connecting the dots, walking through doors to see how the combination of my passion for the arts, mmo's, a new found adoration for Studio Ghibli, a trip to Disney World - holy cow what fun! - and a group of Master Teachers all fit together.

Now, Mythic Scribes tumbled through a portal last night.
So looking forward to whatever comes next!

Warmest to all of you-
Keku

Ankari

Hero Breaker
These sudden thorough introductions leaves me feeling like a caveman. Welcome. What MMO did you play? I feel into that black hole for 5 years. I would wake up with the imprint of my keyboard on my face because I had to camp (if you know that word then you're old school) an extremely rare spawn to get access to the Plane of Sky. I did that for a month...I am not proud of it.

My gateway drug was EQOA (Everquest Online Adventures) for PS2, followed by a lengthy stint in EQ2. I've dabbled in DDO, LoTRO and AoC as well. I've never been able to capture the same mystical cosmic shift I experienced in EQOA then EQ2.

So?

Chilari

Staff
Welcome. It sounds like you've been surrounded by fantasy and writing related elements for a while now. Good to see you here, which is of course objectively the best place for fantasy writers.

What sort of calligraphy works do you produce? My aunt does calligraphy and calligraphy-inspired or -including art (Susie Leiper; Google her, it's the first result) which I think is wonderful. I'd love to see what you've produced.

I can certainly understand the love for Studio Ghibli. My favourites are Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind and Spirited Away. Wonderful stuff. So perfectly fantasy.

Keku

Acolyte
Good morning and thank you for the welcome Ankari.
Cavemen are a special breed - be proud of your heritage :)

I no longer play mmo's. I learned what I needed to, and moved on. Honestly the grinding, repetition, and drive to get the best goodies bored me silly. For a time though, it filled a void and for that I'm very grateful.

No, not "old school" but I do know about camping for rares.
I understand EQ was the downfall of many a gamer. I never played.
I stepped into it's evolution - WoW, met awesome people, had fun for awhile.
I spent some time as one of the first "non-beta testers" for Rift. Although full of bugs, that game was beautifully rendered. Gave SWToR a shot (purely out of my game-mates love for Star Wars). That was a short span.
Tried Aion free to play. That lasted about a day.
Last venture was Diablo III. Talk about beautiful lettering and drawings for their ACT segments.
The Lore was awesome.

I'm considering writing children's books, using hand lettering and illustration.

I would like to offer to help out those of you who are interested in hand lettering for cover titles etc in books, game packaging, things along that line. I'm open to exploring how my craft can enhance the work of others.

As you're finding out, part of my love for writing is correspondence.
I'm not much for conversation - more of and observer.

Hope that answers your questions ;)
Keku

Keku

Acolyte
Thanks for the warm welcome Chilari.
I looked at your aunts website, and although I'm not familiar with her work, she does run in my circle of colleagues. Her work is more traditional in nature - so beautiful. I admire her dedication to the craft. It's long hours and many years of discipline to come even close to the quality of her work.

Part of the "series of challenging events" I referred to in my intro was the destruction of my studio by 3 separate floods. What I had left of my work is lost at sea. What remains are photos, and pieces which were commissioned, gifted, and a few on the walls of my home. I'd love to share some of the digital pics with all of you - that will have to wait for now, and my Facebook page is closed to the public.

My avatar (yesterday was the first experience in making one) is a section of a larger painting of mine. A self portrait set within lettering I designed. It scaled down nicely from what is a piece of 24x36" handmade paper.

Chilari

Staff
Oh gosh what an awful thing to happen to your work. That must have been heartbreaking.

You can share through the forum's gallery system if you have some digital pics, when you have the time to upload them.

But yes, my aunt has been working with calligraphy for decades - the point she has reached has required astounding dedication, but it really pays off. That whole branch of the family is remarkably talented and dedicated.

Rikilamaro

Inkling
Welcome to the Scribes!

All I can hear in my head is Pee Wee Herman saying, "Connect the dots... falalala..." I think I just dated myself there.

Let us know how we can help.

Welcome to the Scribes, sorry to hear about your studio, I would hate to lose all my writing work. Anyway this place is fruitful, helpful and very friendly, so I advise you to enjoy yourself here.

Keku

Acolyte
Ha ha Riki :)

Thank you Aidan - yes, losing one's past is rather depressing, but I'm learning a kind of freedom in starting from scratch. Something like a brandy shiny new start, in the Now. Can't look back anymore, it was holding me still.

I started my children's book today. I'm pretty excited in taking that step into the unknown. First chapter came flying out like I was there, experiencing it. Hope to continue on with the same feeling as I start chapter two. I believe I will ;)

Happy Summer Solstice everyone!

Sheilawisz

Queen of Titania
Hello Keku, Happy Summer Solstice to you too and Welcome to Mythic Scribes!! This thread has been a great introduction about you and I am sure that you will contribute a lot to our great community of Fantasy writers... I hope to see you in the Mythic Chat very soon! XD!!