• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Greetings from the new guy

David Ivanov

Minstrel
Hi all, just wanted to take a moment to introduce myself. My name is Dave but you can call me Dave for short. Or just Dave if that works better for you.

Okay, already being a wiseacre right out of the gate. Just signed up with this forum, hoping to find some like-minded folks for some mutual support, encouragement, hints, tips, etc. as we all work toward what I assume is a common goal -- writing great fantasy fiction with an eye toward getting it published.

These days I'm a far too serious and busy lawyer type (pause for the cat-calls and hisses to die down) in the Cincinnati area, married 20+ years with two kids and a cat. But the kid in me has been a lover of fantasy novels since about age 13 (lo, those many years ago), and I have been piddling around in my limited free time with writing some of my own stuff -- about five chapters into my first novel. I have no illusions (yet, anyway) about the quality of my work, but this looks like a great place to get some feedback and hopefully learn from people who are way ahead of me on the learning curve.

Looking forward to cyber-meeting everyone.

Cheers,
Dave

Codey Amprim

Staff
Article Team
Welcome to the party, Dave! Or is it Dave? Dave? Okay, gotcha. Congrats on getting started, keep at it!

See you around!

Ghost

Inkling
I'd call you dAve, but I'm afraid you're standing behind me. I'm curious: why'd you pick David instead of Dave for your username if we're only allowed to call you Dave?

I guess I shouldn't think about it too hard. Welcome to the forum, Dave!

Last edited:

Rikilamaro

Inkling
Welcome to the Scribes, David.

That's right. I refused your shortened name. What ya gonna do about it? :D

I hope you enjoy your time here. Five chapters is progress, my friend. Keep at it!

Let us know how we can help.

David Ivanov

Minstrel
I'm curious: why'd you pick David instead of Dave for your username if we're only allowed to call you Dave?

Wow, you're right. I guess "David" must have been an unconscious, ingrained response to many years of writing my full name on thousands of legal documents -- not to mention being called that by my mother for over four decades. A little creepy in a Pavlovian sort of way. But on the bright side it also adds a lovely consonantal separation between the first and last names, and avoids that annoying "veev" sound when they are spoken together. :) BTW, the last name is pronounced "Ee-vanov" rather than "Eye-vanov".

Chime85

Sage
Welcome to Mythiscribe, Dave (short for Dave). We're a helpful and friendly bunch here, glad you can join us :)

J. S. Elliot

Inkling
Welcome to Scribes, Dave! I'd be interested in seeing what you have so far for your novel, be it tidbits of world building or samples of the work itself. Hope to see you around. ^^

JonSnow

Troubadour
Dave, as a fellow new guy, its nice to meet you. You probably have a lot of good plot ideas from working as a lawyer, huh? Probably seen some strange stuff... Nothing develops a story like the complexity of the human condition :)

David Ivanov

Minstrel
Welcome to Scribes, Dave! I'd be interested in seeing what you have so far for your novel, be it tidbits of world building or samples of the work itself. Hope to see you around. ^^

So what's the best way to put samples out for member feedback? I was thinking about posting some excerpts or maybe even a full chapter to get some objective thoughts on how to improve it. Is this best done using the portfolio, or is there a less "formal" convention for this sort of thing?

Ireth

Myth Weaver
So what's the best way to put samples out for member feedback? I was thinking about posting some excerpts or maybe even a full chapter to get some objective thoughts on how to improve it. Is this best done using the portfolio, or is there a less "formal" convention for this sort of thing?

Seeing as you have more than five posts, you can post excerpts of your work in the Showcase section of the forum. It's a place to read and critique others' work and get feedback on your own.