• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Go with the Flow, Build as you go?

SeverinR

Vala
I plot my story line, then its like connecting the dots.

Actually, the plan is the bare bones, description and dialog is the muscle, flesh, and even the fat of the story. Editing removes the excess fat, the oddly shaped meat, the deformed flesh. Further editing combs the hair, and polishes the work, making it into a beautiful creation, rather then a mass of ugly words.

To me its alot easier to type and edit on the computer then it is to write and erase on paper.
Even though I never learned to type in school, my mind flows into the keyboard easier then it does into a pen or pencil.

How do you typically write? Do you make it up as you go? Do you have to write it down first and go slow? FEED ME WITH YOUR ANSWERS!!!

I prefer to have a detailed plot in hand before I start writing. It took twelve years before I felt ready to start writing my latest book, and there are still blank spots in the outline. Put me down for "go slow."

Once the scaffolding is in place, the writing can go pretty quickly. Even then, my characters will surprise me. They will refuse to do what I tell them to do. That doesn't necessarily slow things down, it just shows that plotting can only take you so far.

I'll have four rewrites once I finish the rough draft, so I give myself permission to be sloppy.

i have roiugh i dea in my head of the story whether short or novel but i write and develop as i go i think i have hybreed method i can't never outline straight because of my dyslexia my mind jumps here and there but i think the way i do works

I can only imagine how difficult it must be at times when writting (or even doing other things) with dyslexia. But I'm glad that you don't let that hold you down when you write! :)

I prefer to have a detailed plot in hand before I start writing. It took twelve years before I felt ready to start writing my latest book, and there are still blank spots in the outline. Put me down for "go slow."

Once the scaffolding is in place, the writing can go pretty quickly. Even then, my characters will surprise me. They will refuse to do what I tell them to do. That doesn't necessarily slow things down, it just shows that plotting can only take you so far.

I'll have four rewrites once I finish the rough draft, so I give myself permission to be sloppy.

I tend to go slow as well. I think it lets me really think things through and decide what would be the best way for something to happen or play out. There's nothing wrong with taking your time, it just means your probably very careful about what you write and you want it to be perfect.

Jabrosky

Banned
In my experiences with drawing, I have found that with more ambitious projects it helps to scribble into a miniature sketchbook a crude compositional sketch with the scene's major poses and shapes before starting the final drawing on bigger paper. This should apply to any creative endeavor, including writing, so I'm a converted outliner now. Stream-of-consciousness works great for vignettes or very short stories, but outlines should help with longer works.