• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Smallworld - Boardgame

Telcontar

Staff
I just had a Smallworld-filled weekend. I love boardgames but didn't own any until now, and was looked for people to play it with. Set up an entire weekend where it was pretty much all I did. Was pretty awesome, actually.

In any case, its a fantasy themed game where each player controls a fantasy race (which has a special ability/trait) coupled with a random power (granting another ability/trait). You conquer some lands and gain gold, losing people when you get attacked by other players. Eventually your race becomes weak and you put them into "decline" and choose another race, and so on. Very fun.

Tabletop played it in one of their episodes: go here to see it in action.

For fantasy and boardgame fans, I highly recommend this one.

Mythos

Troubadour
This game looks like so much fun! I'd buy it, but I'm not sure any of my friends would be able to sit through learning the rules and playing the whole game.

soulless

Troubadour
I saw that Tabletop, one of my favourite shows, and though I've never even heard of most of the games they play its so much fun to watch and learn the game through others playing them. Small World certainly does look like a game I could enjoy, if only I had someone to play it with, outside of more "traditional" games I don't really know anyone for something like this. Gloom was a great episode to watch as the players told their stories of events occuring in the game.