• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Not really a question, but more of writing help: Mage's Way

Hello there,
I've been working on a novel since 7th grade. I did finish it that year, but I've been only editing and redoing it ever since. This happened to lead me to delete 5 years worth of stories. I am in my final year of editing it completely. I think it's okay as to where it's going and would love to make it into a series of books.

The novel is about Zander, a young page whose father is well known in town. He's just started his training when a raid comes down on the town and his knights are forced to protect him. The raid is started by the kingdom and his father's well known enemy, a necromancer. The necromancer kills his father and even though it is against his father's wishes, Zander's quest to search for his father killer and take the revenge upon himself. His trainers and knights plan to help him, only to keep him safe and continue their training.

I know it's very little, but for me it's hard to explain my own novel. I'm currently stuck on it and wonder if I should delete the whole part or continue from where it is despite it's past my own interest. I would love some feedback and could send the novel to those who wished.

JacobMGibney

Dreamer
I'd really like to have a read of it, sounds like you've got some really interesting stuff tied up in it :) I'm not sure as to what part you mean when you say: "I'm currently stuck on it and wonder if I should delete the whole part".

Send it to my email if you want me to have a read through :)

Roc

Troubadour
A quest of redemption, closure, and revenge. It has been done so many countless times (especially in a medieval setting) I can not count. However, I like your approach to it, a stalwart page, wanting to avenge his father.

A story like that can not simply be carried by the fact he just wants to avenge his father. I'd assume taking the, bounty hunter approach. The kingdom wants the necromancer dead and there's a reward. So the page might use that as leverage to avenge his father.

But like I said, a story like that can simply not be carried on the fact he wants to avenge his father.

Good luck :D

P.S. E-mail the story to me if you want

Last edited:

JonSnow

Troubadour
You guys have to look at what might motivate a person to uproot their life and change everything. Revenge of a loved one is cliche, but revenge is also one of the greatest motivators in the human psyche, if not THE greatest. Fear, money, power, and love are among the others. Revenge is a perfectly legitimate way to start a story, as long the novel develops in other directions as well. I'd be happy to read a chunk of it, if you want to share. I don't have time to read an entire book (working full time, two children, and writing my own book), but if you sent me a portion that I could read in a night or two, I'd like to see it. Let me know.

The revenge has, like Roc & JonSnow said, been done a lot of times before but is still a very good place to start your story. I'm not gonna say what's alread been said before me, but if you want you can PM me the first chapter or 2 ;)