• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Questions about the term Ser

Alex

Troubadour
Ok, I here this term ALL the time on tv and I see it in books a lot. Is Ser simply another way to say Sir? Is it used only for knights and nobles? Basically, I'm looking for specifics.

Ireth

Myth Weaver
I've never seen or heard the term Ser used outside of some of the stories on this forum. I've assumed it's an alternate way to spell sir, though in my opinion it's an unusual one, and one I wouldn't use personally.

Agran Velion

Minstrel
Wikipedia said:
Ser is a gender-neutral form of Sir that has been used in the Dragon Age video game series by BioWare, in the video game Dragon's Dogma by Capcom, in Greg Bear's The Way novels, and in A Song of Ice and Fire by George R R Martin (although only men can be called 'Ser' in this case). It has since been adopted by members of the transgender community as a gender-neutral social title and salutation.

So if I'm correct, it wasn't even used in the Middle Ages (unless it was due to Old English spelling). So it appears to be simply a different spelling of Sir.

Alex

Troubadour
Ah, thank you very much. I had heard the term in several games and read it in game of thrones. It had been driving me nuts. I didn't realize it was a wiki article.