• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Cover Art Needed| Series of Four Books, No Profit Just Credit

Hap818

Dreamer
Im making a series of four books and i just want to get the cover art done. I need a volunteer, who will do it for free and gain no profit but get credit in the book and will gain access to my little group plus all the inside news.

Last edited by a moderator:

mijo

Scribe
Well I am not gonna do it, but you should probably put more information than that (about the book I mean). Just a suggestion:D

Steerpike

Felis amatus
Are you really giving away the cotton candy for free?

Last edited by a moderator:

Hap818

Dreamer
well it will be a while before any of the books are done, if i even decide to get them published when im done. but if i do get it all written and published no, maybe i could givea free copy to the illustrator though

T.Allen.Smith

Staff
Every illustrator I know reads whatever work they're creating art for so they have an idea what image would best encompasses the theme.

So 1st you need to finish the book, run revisions, get critiques, etc. then when it's ready for the masses get the cover art done. I find it unlikely that any artist worth his salt is going to do unpaid work for you at all, let alone for a book that isn't even written.

What's the point?

Steerpike

Felis amatus
As a general rule, I'm against creatives giving their work away to people who are going to turn around and make money (or try to make money) off the product. I'd say the same thing to you as a writer if someone was asking you to contribute a story for free to an anthology they were going to sell. If you're eventually going to try to sell it, why would you expect someone to give you the art work? If you can't pay an artist up front, then it seems you can at least offer them a share of the profits once the book is ever sold (if ever). That's just my opinion, not only on this question but on any solicitation to people to give away their creative output for someone else's benefit.

Hap818

Dreamer
When the book gets produced if it does you will get a percentage of profit. I just won't pay before the book is sold

Taro

Minstrel
i would recommend like some of the others have is to get an idea of your story, let whoever is going to do your cover read it so they can get a better idea of what they maybe required to draw

Hap818

Dreamer
I have a ton(literally) of info. It is in the brainstorming and planning section and if someone volunteers I'll show them.

TWErvin2

Auror
I'd recommend that you finish the series of books before soliciting artists. (This is a general statement and not directed at Hap818, but many writers intend to write and finish a project, but very few actually do what it takes to complete the project) If I were an artist, I'd want to have a completed project to provide art for, especially if I'm being asked to create it for no reimbursement.

Also, you'd need a contract if you're going to offer a % of profits. Normally an artist is paid a flat fee for their work.

I am in agreement with Steerpike, in that if an author intends to eventually earn money from the project, then an artist who provides cover art should be reimbursed for their artistic skill and effort.

Last edited:

Steerpike

Felis amatus
I paid my cover artist a flat fee up front and got a copyright assignment (which you should always do).

If you go to places like Elance or fiverr you can look around and find some good artists at a reasonable price.