• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

But Our Orcs Are Different!

thetraveler

Minstrel
So I'm in the process of creating a few unique and hopefully original monster races for my world. Here's one, tell me what you think, whether or not it's good enough to be a race or if I should toss it.

They're called glimmers. Their exact form is uncertain, but they appear to be a quadrupedal humanoid. They have photosensitive skin and can become almost invisible except for the faintest glimmer of light, hence the name. They are known to use primitive tools, and while they may have low intelligence levels, they are extremely dangerous. They act like bees, except that people are the pollen. When the glimmers have found a suitably thick patch of forest, they build a hive. From that hive, they branch out, hunting anything with a pulse. While they don't pack hunt, they are known to swarm upon the occasion of a direct attack to their hive. Hives will typically house 50-250 glimmers. They breed at a similar rate to humans. They are primarily nocturnal.

Whatcha think?

Jess A

Archmage
Charming - I would not want to run into one of those on a dark night! ;)

Is their social structure similar to bees'? Is there a queen?

thetraveler

Minstrel
Hadn't quite figured that out. They're encountered multiple times, but the main characters never have the occasion to venture into a hive/aren't that stupid. I wanted to have a queen, but I recently read 'The Edge Chronicles', and adding that to their social structure felt to much like one of the goblin races Twig encountered there. So I'm not certain. I'll probably structure it more similar to a lion pride, with the alpha male for mating, but the females are the ones who do most of the work.

Jess A

Archmage
If you are looking for a reason for a swarm, perhaps an earthquake or something dislodges their hive, and they swarm out looking for a cause - and encounter your characters.

Are the 'workers'/hunters compelled by the alpha male (or alpha female) and born into their job as workers? The name 'hive' for their nest is suggestive of a bee or ant social structure, or at least bits of it.

thetraveler

Minstrel
I actually do have a reason. The main characters sort of purposefully start one...

That's pretty much how it works.

Queshire

Auror
Bluh, I thought this would have more to do with Orcs due to the title. Personally, I would have them work in small groups, maybe 3-5 at best. If they're that dangerous and that prolific then any sane ruler or king would make a point to exterminate them wherever they could.

as a note, the Lion in a lion pride does a lot more than just mating - they're also the main protectors and guardians of the pride, whilst the lionesses are hunters etc.

now, a few questions:

1) how do they hunt/eat?

2) any gender differences/ratio variances

3) do they have any defence against swords/knights and the like? because if not, as Queshire said, most kingdoms/civilizations would kull such dangerous creatures as soon as they got near.

also, if your woried about a simmilarity to a fictional race, why are you intentionally comparing them/basing them around a real one. the real one is much more recognizable :p

Shockley

Maester
A creature mostly walking on 'all fours' that has a humanoid shape. Apes?

Maybe I'm being a stickler here, but that doesn't quite carry for me. Considering the main characteristic of a humanoid is, to me at least, full bipedalism.

Not trying to derail the thread, mind you. I just want as clear a picture of this as possible before I comment.

well, humanoid is a creature with arms/limbs that can be used as arms

quadruped is a creature that walks on four legs

so, centauresque, mayhaps?

Jess A

Archmage
Maybe I'm being a stickler here, but that doesn't quite carry for me. Considering the main characteristic of a humanoid is, to me at least, full bipedalism.

Not trying to derail the thread, mind you. I just want as clear a picture of this as possible before I comment.

Fair enough - as the person below suggested, maybe it is a centaur-like being.

Any pictures for us, traveler?

SeverinR

Vala
My first thought when I saw the OP title: But our orcs are different.

Traditional orc face gangsta rappin to a native american beat.