• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

I'm here.

Heavy Thorn

Dreamer
Hello,

Name is Michael, and I'm from West Los Angeles, CA, though I originally hail from the midwest (Michigan, in particular). I've been writing fantasy since 2002, when I first saw and fell in love with The Lord of the Rings.

I wrote my first fantasy novel in 2005, and despite being cliché and relatively formulaic, it was actually a pretty good book, I think, though I can't remember the title for the life of me. Unfortunately, I lost the manuscript and all related notes when my computer died the following year.

Shortly after that, I moved into filmmaking as a career choice. That's why I moved out here to LA at the end of March this year, to stay with my friend and work in film. But recently, I've wanted to get back to writing - and reading - good books (I'm currently reading Bernard Schlink's The Reader).

I'm currently working on a crime thriller set in Northern California. I've got an incredible detailed outline for that. I'm also working on my fantasy world, but I'm not going to be writing the novel for it any time soon. For now, I just want to spend time and flesh out the world until it feels real enough to write something in. I figure that will probably be a year or two from now, maybe 3.

So that's me, Heavy Thorn. Looking forward to getting to know all of you in time.

Heavy Thorn

Kelise

Maester
Welcome! That must be pretty interesting to work in filmmaking, what kind of work have you done so far? :)

Heavy Thorn

Dreamer
It is indeed. I haven't done an incredible amount yet, but I've worked as a Craft Services PA (catering assistant) on a shoot for the Travel Channel, and as a personal assistant to my friend on his 3rd feature film, a thriller. I'm also working with said friend to develop another thriller of sorts that we'll be producing when he gets back from Florida in a month or so.

Heavy Thorn

Dreamer
Thanks, Dragon!

Primarily, I want to work on a studio level, directing and producing. I know what needs to be done to get there, it's just a matter of how best to do it. I also write screenplays, but I procrastinate like hell and haven't actually finished a feature script, though I have very detailed outlines for several, one of which I'm working on novelizing first. <grin>

Black Dragon

Staff
Administrator
I used to dream of being a director, once upon a time. Alas, the circumstances of life made that dream impossible (at least for now). I admire your courage in pursuing your dream, and wish you great success.