• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Giant Sidewinder Cobra: Too OP?

Mindfire

Istar
I notice that my posts tend to abuse the "Exactly What it Says on the Tin" trope. Heh. Anyhow, to the point.

I have a group of rogues, scoundrels, and outlaws called Dune Riders who roam the deserts of my world. They are essentially glorified bandits. The name comes from the fact that they, in my original conception, used dunevipers as mounts. Dunevipers are a hybrid serpent resembling a cross between an American sidewinder and a Middle Eastern cobra. They are called dunevipers, not because they live in the desert, but because they can grow so large that when hidden under a thin layer of sand they appear to be actual dunes.

Now, in retrospect, I'm starting to wonder if giving the Riders dunevipers as mounts might be a bit overpowered and strain suspension of disbelief. I mean, how powerful does a hero have to be to take down an entire pack of bandits (I'm thinking perhaps 6-13) armed with fire magic and riding on giant desert serpents? To address that potential issue I was thinking of having the Dune Riders use gargons as mounts instead. Gargons are something like a cross between a lion and a komodo dragon. They kinda look like this.

Of course, if I change their mounts, I may have to give them a different name.

Last edited:

Queshire

Istar
Mmmm...... well if they're that big then I suggest only having one of them and having all the bandits ride on it like a train or something.

Jabrosky

Banned
It only counts as overpowering if the bandits don't have any enemies who can feasibly defeat them. Power is relative.

Mindfire

Istar
It only counts as overpowering if the bandits don't have any enemies who can feasibly defeat them. Power is relative.

Well, with my original scheme and each bandit having his own serpent... I suppose they could technically be defeated, but my main character would have to switch godmode on, and he's not at that level just yet. Granted, at the time he's carrying a Divine Sword of Obliterate Everything, but he's rubbish at using it. He has zero sword skills and is really only carrying it for someone else.

maybe keep the size, but as said before a train/multi-rider system might work (think of howwadah'd elephants, only with snakes). it'd also explain how they transport housing and the like, and would provide cover in the dunes/cooking space/etc...

you coudl also have the duneviper be a rare but valued mount - something for only the best bandits. with other ones having smaller snakes/lizards

also, giant snakes - due to how snakes eat - aren't really that dangerous; it'd be pretty easy to walk into the mouth (swallows food whole) then cut your way out - afterall, a shard of glass can kill a regular sized snake, I'm sure a sword could do the same for a huge one :D if your worried about power level.

or you could always give the hero an even bigger mongoose to ride...

and glad to find another subscribed to the trope-co catalogue XD

Shockley

Maester
I've thought of the ways to word this without offense, but I'm not finding a way so I'm just going to post an image:

dune__drive_the_sandworm_by_leywad1.jpg

This is Paul Atreides, from Dune.

Mindfire

Istar
I have never read Dune. Thanks to your post, I wil continue not reading it. :p

Dont take this the wrong way, but I put a lot of time and effort into my ideas. Your unwarranted insinuations to the contrary border on insult. Tread lightly.

Shockley

Maester
I'm just trying to warn you that your story, as presented here, treads very closely to Dune (I mean, your creatures are even named Dune Vipers), and you got to be careful.

T.Allen.Smith

Staff
Shockley said:
I'm just trying to warn you that your story, as presented here, treads very closely to Dune (I mean, your creatures are even named Dune Vipers), and you got to be careful.

I understand what you're saying but other than being in a desert, his setting, characters,and story will be very different.

Last edited:

Jabrosky

Banned
I have never read Dune. Thanks to your post, I wil continue not reading it. :p

Dont take this the wrong way, but I put a lot of time and effort into my ideas. Your unwarranted insinuations to the contrary border on insult. Tread lightly.
I don't really care if your dune snakes have a superficial similarity to the creatures in Dune, but the defensive tone here is uncalled for. Please calm down.

no offence to the guy who linked a dune picture, but, yeah. it's kinda unwarented and actually contributes fudge all, regardless of any insultingness with/without it, since he never said his snake idea was origional, and the planed version of the dunesnake he presented has next to no simmilarity to the duneworm other than being a big, sand-dwelling critter

Mindfire

Istar
Alright, I'll calm down. It irks me when people accuse or imply that I somehow stole ideas from things I haven't even read.

But since the issue has been raised, I will cheerfully admit to borrowing concepts from other works. I take inspiration from everything from Disney films to the Codex Alera. What I don't like is when people assume I haven't done any creative grunt work of my own, or that I've copied something simply because its well known and popular.

For example:

I have a vaguely Native American-ish forest-dwelling cultural group whose powers include empathy with nature and whose religion centers around a sacred tree. I came up with this idea at least a full year before I'd even heard of James Cameron's Avatar. I will however admit to the idea being inspired by Disney's Pocahontas.

Last edited:

Jabrosky

Banned
I'm currently in a bit of a quandary because I have a vaguely Native American-ish forest-dwelling cultural group whose powers include empathy with nature and whose religion centers around a sacred tree- an idea I came up at least a full year before I'd even heard of Avatar. Not changing it though, because I realized that the similarities between my work and Avatar have nothing to do with James Cameron, and are actually the result of us borrowing from the same source material, namely Disney's Pocahontas.
Here I'm less concerned with originality per se than racial stereotypes. Nature does feature prominently in some Native American religions (and for that matter many pre-modern religions in general), but must every Native American-style culture in fantasy be eco-friendly "noble savages"?

Mindfire

Istar
Here I'm less concerned with originality per se than racial stereotypes. Nature does feature prominently in some Native American religions (and for that matter many pre-modern religions in general), but must every Native American-style culture in fantasy be eco-friendly "noble savages"?

The quote you have in your post is outdated, as I edited my original statement to something more concise, which I'm better pleased with. I'd be quite grateful if you'd change your quotation to reflect that. But to answer your question:

First, the Mako, for that is what they are called, aren't actually Native Americans. In their creation, I did little to no actual research on Native American culture because I wanted to avoid racial stereotyping. If you stacked them up against a real NA culture, you'd be hard pressed to find many similarities. In this respect, I think I've actually done better than films like Pocahontas. Rather than saying "this is NA culture", I'm trying to explore a fantasy idea without the baggage or trappings of trying to pin the archetype to a real-world people group. The Mako have more in common with the elves of Lothlorien than they do with the Powhatan confederation.

The only reason that "forest dwelling magical tribe" is seen as a racial stereotype is because we associate it with NA culture. That may seem tautological, but it's true. (Yes, I know how redundant it is to say that a tautology is true.) I want to keep the archetype, but break that association. Dissociate it from the real-world culture and its no longer a racial stereotype, just a fantasy archetype. Also, based on geographical distribution, the Mako would be more "equivalent" to equatorial Africans, though I can't say they have any cultural resemblance to them either.

Last edited:

Shockley

Maester
@Mindfire: I never said you stole anything. I just pointed out that the image you presented, including the name of the creature, was reminiscent of one of the seminal works of sci-fi/fantasy.

I'm not trying to insult you, I'm trying to help you. If you want just positive input, well, that's not something you're going to get.

Mindfire

Istar
@Mindfire: I never said you stole anything. I just pointed out that the image you presented, including the name of the creature, was reminiscent of one of the seminal works of sci-fi/fantasy.

I'm not trying to insult you, I'm trying to help you. If you want just positive input, well, that's not something you're going to get.

I get that Shockley. It just seemed like your were implying that I somehow ripped this idea from Dune's bleeding pages, which is not the case. For future reference, I would have preferred if you'd said something like,

"Hey Mindfire, have you read Dune? Because this idea bears a passing resemblance to..."

To which I would have responded, "No, I haven't read Dune, though after a brief google check, I see where you're coming from. However, my idea is actually quite different because of Reasons A, B, and C, and I don't think there will be much confusion."

Shockley

Maester
And I would prefer it if you would respond to my posts by actually asking if I am accusing you of ripping something off as opposed to freaking out about the supposed accusation.

Either way, I'm going to wash my hands of this topic. As far as I'm concerned, this isn't worth fighting over.

Jess A

Archmage
Oops. Easy to accidentally come up with a 'similar' idea. But moving on.

What if your hero obtained a rogue snake-rider, some archers and a snake for himself? That could be a fun scene.

Mindfire

Istar
Oops. Easy to accidentally come up with a 'similar' idea. But moving on.

What if your hero obtained a rogue snake-rider, some archers and a snake for himself? That could be a fun scene.

Interesting idea. It would take some plotting gymnastics to make that happen, but I'll make a note in case I see an opportunity.