• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

50,000 word challenge for June - National Novel Writing Month

Fodwocket

Minstrel
YAY here we go!

And no one is sure if the devil's number is 666, 999. 616 or 919. so I think we're safe there. Yay for the vagueness of religious texts. Though have just noticed your exclamation marks may have meant you were happy about it? In which case, 666 ftw!

That's three yays in one post. Our success is guaranteed!

Last edited:

Artless

Minstrel
Who can fail to be excited about the possibility of the devils number?!
Yay!
More to the point the only people who are commenting on this post are Australian, so Australia FTW! :p
Alas, the novel idea I've had in my head for years got stolen by the Night Angel Trilogy by Brent Weeks.... (Well, sort of)
And I have yet to rebuild from there... But now I have a decent Forum, Go go Gadget Worldbuilding!
:)

Kate

Troubadour
More to the point the only people who are commenting on this post are Australian, so Australia FTW! :p
Could be a time zone thing?
Where is the rest of the world? C'mon people! It's only fun if there's a crowd!

Black Dragon

Staff
Administrator
Best of luck to you guys!

I'll be following your progress, although I will be unable to participate. My infant daughter owns my time these days. :)

Kelise

Maester
Siiiigh. I've done two days of four, so I'm quite behind already. On friday I had tests results back and my doctor said the lovely 'well, you're VERY sick, but I have no idea what it could be. It's two or three things. One could be glandular fevour, one could be ulcers, but... we don't know. So. Another test. Tube down the throat.' - and I don't even get that done and results back for another nine weeks. (She may not have spoken like that, I may have added a bit of artistic licence.
So currently I'm feeling too ill and stressed to try and write (badly) at the moment :( *grumbles*

Kate

Troubadour
Sounds like you've been talking to my doctor! Ahhhh regional healthcare.

Hope you're feeling better soon. It's hard to get creative when you're feeling poorly.

Kelise

Maester
Still haven't written anything more than two days worth. Leaving for Melbourne tomorrow night though, for the writing con Continuum with Fodwocket, and a few days dedicated to writing on either side. Hopefully it'll help!

How're you going?

Fodwocket

Minstrel
I'm going okay, a few days behind, but as Starconstant said, we've got several days dedicated to writing on our holiday, so we should catch up then ^_^

Sezmo

Dreamer
I have a whopping 800ish words so I'm not doing great. Hopefully will be able to pick up the pace next week when I'm actually out in Germany and somewhat settled into whatever housing we've been given there. At the moment I'm at my parents and stressing about the move. Plus I don't really have anywhere I can write without being disturbed every few minutes.

On a good note though, at least I've written something! I've not written ANYTHING since November until yesterday.

Kate

Troubadour
The words are mounting and I'm almost on track to complete the 50 by months end. However, I'm having some reservations. My WIP seems very delicate at the moment. I've been working on it for months, piling up the words trying out this and that, deleting said words, planning, replanning, piling in more words and so on.
I think it's at a stage where high velocity writing will actually do it more harm than good, so I'm wondering if I might graciously bow out of the Official June Challenge and just keep working at it. I'm cracking about 1500 a day which is almost on target. When I'm trying to catch up though, most of those daily words are rubbish, and since I'm working to an overall schedule to complete the MS, I'm thinking that's just going to make things all the more difficult.
It's all very weird, I'm a seasoned Wrimo and I usually love these kinds of challenges. Maybe because this is a pre-exisiting work, it's a bit too precious to slam into a massive challenge like this.
We'll see.

Kelise

Maester
I totally understand how you fel, Kate. My current WIP is probably more important to my partner than it is to me, so I keep putting off working on it until I'm healthy enough to see straight, so I don't stuff it up XD Means I'm not working on it when I possibly could be, though.

Kate

Troubadour
The more I think about it, the more I think bowing out is a good idea. I've done so much on the WIP last night and today, and even though I've only written about 50 new words, I've made HUGE advances by shifting scenes about and fitting everything into a time frame, planning out the next few scenes and even research (gasp!). Wouldn't have done any of that if I'd been shoving another 1667 words in for the hell of it.

I think I may have learned something about myself and my work in these last few weeks. Even though quantitative writing challenges are good fun and can really go a long way in helping get the novel out into the world, they're a double edged sword. Knowing when they're going to be of use, or when they're going to get in the way though is something a little harder to figure out.

Maybe if I hadn't done the May deal last month it would be a different story, in a few different ways!

Fodwocket

Minstrel
It's all for our writing, so Kate I think you're doing the right thing ^_^

How is everyone else going? I'm woefully behind, but nonetheless have reached my daily quota for a few days in a row now, so that's something.

Raziel

Minstrel
Best of luck to you guys!

I'll be following your progress, although I will be unable to participate. My infant daughter owns my time these days. :)

My heart goes out to ya with having a child. I am about to know that all to well. Little one has about 3 weeks before he's ready to join us.

I'm a writer at heart and wish I knew about the NaNoWrMo a couple years ago. Alas, I have notebooks filled that probably have enough content to fill that quota at least once. So, it would have been nice to have all this at that time but here we are now and that's what matters.

I am still dumbfounded and blown away by the respectability of the site you guys keep up. My book (still in it's creative phase) is going to keep going because of the simple fact that I have some one; some people; to actually talk to about my ideas and give some constructive criticism along the way.

In daily life I have but one friend who MIGHT be as serious as I am about writing. We have spoken about collaborating but to no avail yet.
So, in closing I make the decree that I shall dedicate as much time as I can to write for the NaNo November date. 'Tis be the month of my birth so I think its only fitting.

50,000 words by November, I'm in.

Thank you all and have a good...everything...see you around..

-----
Raziel

Last edited: