• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Pre-writing....

PrincessaMiranda

Troubadour
Ok, so what are the most effective ways you use to pre-write? Outlines? Character sheets? ...other...

I have trouble pre-writing because I get carried away in my story and want to get it out before it falls into the abyss of my memory.

I'm not asking for secrets, or a magic fix. Just something that me help me a little bit with my horrible disorganization.

Ravana

Istar
Brainstorming—that is, lists of ideas (I've come to realize not everybody uses that term in that way). The descriptions of which tend to become progressively longer until I'm effectively writing sentences or paragraphs.

The nice thing about lists is you can easily go back through and number them to put the ideas in order when you're ready to start the organization phase. Or, if you're doing it on a computer, cut and paste them in order.

The important thing is to get the ideas down, regardless of form. Outlining can—should—come as a later step.

Jess A

Archmage
I brainstorm. I have a few notebooks around and I always carry a notebook and a pen when I go out, in case muse strikes. My notebooks are full of ideas and timelines and lists. I usually start a scene which is strongest in my mind, and then I will work around it and go back and fill things in. I don't write beginning to end, either. I write a lot of scenes out and scene ideas, too - they can be cut and pasted into the draft.

Other times, I sit back and I daydream for a bit before putting pen to paper. I get a sense of the setting (busy city sounds, bird calls, rivers, battle, forest smells, visual etc) and the characters' emotions (etc) in my head and then I try to put it into words. I also try to write with the knowledge that I can always come back and edit.

Best thing to do in the end is just write otherwise you may never start. As Ravana said, get the ideas down in any shape or form or you may forget them!

Last edited:

lovecow

Acolyte
I start with a voice recorder. Once you get past how odd your voice sounds it's great. Then move my idea's to pen and paper.

There's no magic system or approved procedure. If you feel the need to write first and organize later, that's the way you should work.

Steerpike

Felis amatus
I have trouble pre-writing because I get carried away in my story and want to get it out before it falls into the abyss of my memory.

If you get this impulse or spark of inspiration, just sit down and start writing and don't worry about the pre-writing. You can take care of any problems during the editing process.

I write stream-of-consciousness-style brainstorming about what's going to happen. It's sort of a dialogue with myself because that's the only way I can remember anything.

Telcontar

Staff
An outline very much helped me actually complete my first novel. I always knew where the plot was going, even though I changed it on the fly often.

I also tend to write important scene snippets and dialogue as they occur to me. No sense in losing the product of true inspiration.

T.Allen.Smith

Staff
I outline but I keep the structure very loose, lots of wiggle room so ideas can be moved, expounded upon, deleted, etc.

I will outline until I get that urge to write that you speak of.... When that's happens I don't stifle it by continuing to outline. I let it run free. When that spark tends to slow or dwindle, I know I need more structure so I return to outlining.

Regardless my daily word goal doesn't change. I've noticed though that it's a lot easier getting to that word count when I have the structure of an outline to guide my writing.

Lorna

Inkling
I occasionally map and draw an outline as a guide to where I'm going but ultimately I write... and write... keep the key ideas and file 99% away.

Chime85

Sage
I just write notes and notes and notes. The best thing about pre writing is that nothing is set in stone. Any ideas you think of, jot them down on a notepad. Names you think of (they don't even need to be assigned to anything/one, just write down the name), characteristics, settings etc, just write it all down.

It's a good habit to get into. Even once you have the story mapped out in notes (and in your head), keep noting, noting, noting.

x

JonSnow

Troubadour
I do very brief outlines, and make sure to keep a notebook with me so I can write ideas when they pop up randomly. Other than that, I do not pre-write. I get the structure of a chapter in my head, and I write it. Every time I try to outline or pre-organize ahead of where my story actually is, I end up scrapping it anyway, because it doesn't fit by the time I get there.

I know it varies from writer to writer. Some outline an entire book vigorously before they start writing. Others write the whole thing from the mind. Bottom line, find what works for you and stick to it.

PrincessaMiranda

Troubadour
Those are all very close to what I try to do. I have the outline so I dont get lost, but I like to write it out as if it were happening before me. Probably why I write in first person so often, I put myself into the story. I also have notebooks and if one isnt available, I use the Notepad feature on my cell phone.

T.Allen.Smith

Staff
PrincessaMiranda said:
Those are all very close to what I try to do. I have the outline so I dont get lost, but I like to write it out as if it were happening before me. Probably why I write in first person so often, I put myself into the story. I also have notebooks and if one isnt available, I use the Notepad feature on my cell phone.

iPhone notepad is one of my best friends....

Robert Donnell

Minstrel
Okay Princess I understand exactly what your issues are, I wrote my first novel without any planning or prewriting, the book was awful, My next I tried to do the 100% pre planning thing, The second book was never finished. So what was the right answer?

Prewriting free hand can help figure where your book starts, and where it goes, last it tells you how it will end. Then go back and at least do chapter titles. A brief description of you main charactors is needed.

The novel I am working on now I started with an idea "What if..." then went on from there, now that I have some idea where I started, I can now go back and do the prewriting and story arc. I will need to write my ending and make the two connect in the middle. Some times the end does not strike you until you get deep into the story.

I hope this helps.

PrincessaMiranda

Troubadour
Thank you. I have no trouble writing (Except for the ever infuriating writers block) I just need to find a way to FINISH a novel.

Chime85

Sage
Thank you. I have no trouble writing (Except for the ever infuriating writers block) I just need to find a way to FINISH a novel.

Sounds to me like you have thought about the start and the middle of your story in great detail, but have yet to decide on the end. Why not jot down a few drafts, each giving a different ending?

Try to note down a few endings and see which direction you prefer

x

Saigonnus

Auror
I outline a bit for background purposes; usually the elements that are essential to the story (characters/organizations/places etc) that may include a character profile for each of the characters I think of. I tend to keep my ipod with me most of the time anyway, so I have started using the notes feature to take down ideas I have on the run so I don't forget them.

JonSnow

Troubadour
I have the first 4 chapters of my book finished (about 18k words). The other day, I did a simple POV character sheet, where I listed my 5 POV characters, and briefly (2-3 paragraphs each) described each of their plot lines, just to organize them. Amazingly, the sequence of events, chapter divides, book endings, EVERYTHING all came together with a level of clarity it I hadn't ever had. This outcome was sort of by accident, and not at all WHY I did the character outlines. But for the first time, I feel like all my major ideas are organized, in sequence, for the first book and a half (which will be about 700 pages/250k words I would estimate). And all I did was summarize the plot sequence for my 5 POV characters. FINALLY I feel like the only thing left to do is sit own and write. It is a really liberating feeling.

Last edited: