• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

What the @#%$!

dyga19

Dreamer
Do the Orcs commonly live among domesticated animals? I've noticed in a comic series I've been reading, Wasteland, that many swears or curses are derived from goats, which is the common food/livestock animal.

Maybe a goat curse could be something like....

"Ancestors damn you, you son of a ferret!"

*Orc stubs toe* "Oh, ferretballs!"

Just brainstorming, anyway. Don't ask me why I went with ferrets.

Some possible words; what do you think?

Kor! (long version: Koryg!)

Grom!

Nog!

Drokur! (name insult)

Just off the top of my head

I love these!!! Especially "grom" and "nog." It would make me laugh, but in a good way, you know? I laugh at swearing anyways, and so made up words are even better.

Plus "grom" would work well in other ways...."what the gromming nog is going on here?"

I like it a lot.

Ravana

Istar
"Well-groomed"? "Recently bathed"? "Articulate"? (No, that wouldn't work: it would take one to know one.) "Dwarf-kissing, tree-hugging, butterfly-collecting son of a garden gnome?"

"RrrrRRARH… Grom smash!"

<smashing sounds>

…guess I shoulda left the butterfly collecting off. Gots an owwie now.… :p

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd avoid "Grom" in particular as that's the name of a well-known Orc in the Warcraft universe. Unless you use it as an homage. ;)

You knows what's funny? I was thinking of different tribe names for my orcs and I thought of "Doomhammer." I liked it because it sounded a little cheesy but that fits in with orcs pretty well. Only later that day my friend informed me that Doomhammer was already in the Warcraft universe. I don't even play Warcraft! This always happens to me. I'll think of a word that I believe I invented and then find out it's been used before. It's very frustrating!

You knows what's funny? I was thinking of different tribe names for my orcs and I thought of "Doomhammer." I liked it because it sounded a little cheesy but that fits in with orcs pretty well. Only later that day my friend informed me that Doomhammer was already in the Warcraft universe. I don't even play Warcraft! This always happens to me. I'll think of a word that I believe I invented and then find out it's been used before. It's very frustrating!

Well, there's been enough orc-related fiction produced that probably every reasonably orc-sounding name has already been used at least once by someone. Inventing a completely new name that's never been used before is super-hard, so you're probably best off just avoiding the most well-known orcish names.

Either that, or don't use clasically "orcish" names; maybe in human languages the orc's name sounds like "Grokthar" but in orcish that means "Shining Light" or something.

Steerpike

Felis amatus
Blizzard took almost their entire IP (in its initial form) from Warhammer, or they can handle some name swiping :)

Wynnara

Minstrel
If you want some good examples of word-twist swearing, I recommend watching a few episodes of the TV series "Farscape" for ideas. The show was able to swear up, down and sideways without a peep from the censors using some word substitution that left very little doubt as to what the characters were really saying. Phrases like:

"Frell me dead"
"That's just a load of dren"
"He's completely fahrbot"
"Has him by the mivonks"

etc. etc... a complete list can be found here.

I mean, you can't use those words exactly since any Farscape fans worth their salt will recognize them immediately, but I'm sure you can see the possibilities.

Reaver

Staff
@Reaver
This actually helps a lot. I wasn't sure what to expect from the name of the top link you gave me lol

What was this collected from? Did these words or phrases come from a specific fantasy setting/universe?

I have no idea. Just googled it.:D

Reaver

Staff
Then of course you could always leave it up to the reader's imagination.
For example:

"Eat a dirty clown's festering __________!"

"Go __________ yourself until your ________ bleeds and your ___________ __________ mother dies from burning _________!"

See? These are pretty effective. I'll bet that anyone readiing this post filled in the blanks with some really nasty stuff.