• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Cool Fantasy Art

Philip Overby

Staff
Article Team
Curious about some good fantasy artists out there. I've always loved Frank Frazetta, who did the classic Conan and Death-Dealer art. I'm also a fan of Larry Elmore's old Dragonlance art (the fans of Elmore know what I'm talking about) and Brom's Dark Sun art. I'm also a fan of H.R. Giger, who does awesome sci-fi/horror art (probably best known for designing the aliens from "Alien"). Also Junji Ito who does some pretty amazing horror manga such as "Gyo" and "Izumaki." Creepy, weird stuff.

So if anyone has any recommendations, I'm interested in any direction you could give me. Sometimes I just want cool stuff to look at, which sometimes helps with inspiration. I'm open to anything really. Thanks!

Leuco

Troubadour
I've got some Larry Elmore prints in my home office. I think his covers are what inspired me to start reading those old TSR books.

I found a new favourite blog about 2 months ago. It's called "Women Fighters in Reasonable Armour" and features beautiful works from the fantasy vein, but without chain-mail bikinis. Some of the artists and work is remarkable, and it really helps to inspire me from time to time. It at least keeps my head in a fantasy-themed space.

Shadoe

Sage
Larry Elmore is a fantastic artist - and a heck of a nice guy. I had a couple dozen prints of his during my first marriage. Had to pick one up every time we saw him. I like:

Michael Whelan, who is amazing
Carl Lundgren
Chris Achilleos
H. R. Giger
BorisVallejo and Julie Bell (because how can you think of them as separate people?)
Luis Royo
Rowena Morrill
Keith Parkinson
William Li

Jabrosky

Banned
I have a friend on DeviantArt who is perhaps my favorite artist on there. Her page can be accessed here. She mostly does fantasy characters, especially those with an African cultural background, but sometimes she does wild animals as well.

Ankari

Hero Breaker
When I first started my project I stumbled upon Kerem Beyit. I asked him how much he charges for character drawings......$6,000. Anyway, his art is amazing. Check out his deviantART site.

Legendary Sidekick

The HAM'ster
Fantasy Street Fighter

Fantasy_Street_fighter_by_GENZOMAN.jpg

by GENZOMAN

Be sure to click the artist's DA name so you can check out his other fantasy art. This guy is good!

Last edited: