• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Dungeon Siege 3

Black Dragon

Staff
Administrator
I saw an advertisement for Dungeon Siege 3 yesterday. What's it about?

I have no experience with the series, other than a horrible Uwe Boll movie. Is it similar to Diablo?

Behelit

Troubadour
I played the first Dungeon Siege when it released. I liked it a lot even if it was relatively shallow and linear. I never tried the 2nd one for reasons unknown. As for the third, I haven't heard enough about it, nor have I kept on top of upcoming action RPGs.

As for your question, is it similar to Diablo? I would have to say in too many ways, no. It may be trying to be more like Diablo, but it didn't succeed in the first installment. It plays much like an action rpg, but not so much a hack 'n slash.

One of the biggest pros for the game was the content! If they could maintain that (or make it even better) while improving its gameplay and story, it would be absolutely solid.

I would give Dungeon Siege III a run IF you want a visually fantastical game as opposed to a strong fantasy storyline.

Black Dragon

Staff
Administrator
Thanks for the rundown, Behelit. While I generally go for games with strong storylines, some mindless action occasionally hits the spot. :)

I downloaded the demo on Xbox 360 and it was pretty interesting. Story-wise, I don't know enough about it either. The feel of the game seemed like a mix of Baldur's Gate and Sacred 2. You can be one of four possible characters and there's a big movement for Co-Op play (up to 3 other players). And I think it can even be a two-player game on the console versions. It seems more the slash and hack variety than the epic storytelling of Mass Effect or Dragon Age.

Black Dragon

Staff
Administrator
Hey Meg!

It's always great hearing from our resident gaming expert. A mix of Baldur's Gate and Sacred 2 sounds very promising. I'm especially intrigued by the possibility of co-op play. I may have to download the demo myself, once I'm able to step away from Dragon Age 2 (which I love).

I may be on my final playthru of DA2 (until I become saited on Dungeon Seige III and I will need something to fall back on until Skyrim comes out). I have 1 achievement left to unlock and I'm about OCD about it!

I think you'd like the demo - it was fairly easy to "get" how all the buttons work. There's a dialogue wheel similar to ME2 and DA. Plus your character talks! Which I have become an increasingly big fan of. That seems to be my only complaint against DA:Origins/Awakening and one of the things I really loved about DA2.

Last edited:

Metalfist

Dreamer
I can recommend Dungeon Siege-Throne Of Agony for the psp. Great looking hack n' slasher in a fairly large world, although it is easy to get lost if you play it casually.

Merc

Dreamer
Not so much like Diablo but interesting. The first one's slow to build on the story but keeps you're interest all the same, poor map building. In parts of the game audio's required, as you have no map, and are listening for wind. :/ Fun though.