• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

How do you get input on your writing?

I've been wondering if authors try to test out their novel by posting a few chapters on a website, like Fiction Press , Deviant Art or something.

TWErvin2

Auror
I am part of a crit group. I also have some friends and co-workers that sometimes read what I've written and provide input.

Once you do start submitting to publishers, pay really serious attention to any criticism they offer. Mostly, especially when you first start to submit, they offer little or nothing in the way of guidance. But if they do, leach everything you can and try to develop a relationship with whoever offered the crit. Advice or suggestions from professionals is absolute gold.

T.Allen.Smith

Staff
Most cities of decent size have live critique groups. Also, posting on forums like MS can be a good way to go. This forum is a private forum which some consider a benefit when posting for online critiques.

If you are ready, submit on our showcase. It's usually best to explain what you're looking for in the critique. Do you want a full critique of anything & everything? Maybe you just want people to check the flow of a fight scene or how natural a section of dialogue sounds.

Either way, it's often best to keep your posts around 1500 words or less. That's not required, but a lot of people will shy away from larger post because of the time investment. If you post in 1500 words segments you'll probably have more people look at your work, which is a benefit. Even in my live crit groups the max per week is 1500 words.

gavintonks

Maester
I have used critters and a few other crit sites and I have about 5 dedicated readers who read and send feedback and a couple more I can twist [sorry break] their arms for feedback and of course here as well

Helen

Inkling
I've been wondering if authors try to test out their novel by posting a few chapters on a website, like Fiction Press , Deviant Art or something.

There's probably a writing group in your area. Meet a few times a month, share writing, drinks and benefits. Makes it much more fun.

Svrtnsse

Staff
Article Team
A friend of mine is reading through my stuff, checking for weirdnesses in gammar and word choices. I read, or aim to read, her stuff, whenever she has something to show me.

I make friends with people and then offer to exchange critiques.

The hardest part about this is when you exchange critiques with someone who is a much better (or much worse) writer than you are, because then one of you is doing a lot more work. ;)

SeverinR

Vala
I have posted some on Deviantart, but the critiques were usually not helpful.
Like it, love it, want to read more. Encouraging but not helpful in developing the story/art of writing.

I had a co-worker(she just retired) that helped.

There is a writing group in the city I work in, they meet once a month. It is a generic writing group, all genres. It is 15 minutes farther away from home, which means after the meeting I have an hour drive home. Haven't went to one yet.

I have posted on Writing.com, got several reviews, then it kind of disappeared.

You need to give reviews to get reviews on alot of these websights.

I admit avoiding full length novels on critiques, because I am very picky on what I read, so I would critique stories that didn't interest me, so reading 1k-2k story rather then a ten entry 70k book was preferable.
Pick you problem chapter, your favorite chapter, even a random chapter and have some critique it.
Looking at others writings can help you identify a problem you might have. Even more read the critiques of others on the same story you critiqued, to see what you missed.