• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

How would you react to this tense shift

Steerpike

Felis amatus
I do. Even if a story is set in the past but written in present tense, I would think that the story is happening now. I imagine it as being transported back in time, watching the story unfold, then return to my present time.

Thanks, Ankari. If that's the case, and you view both past and present tense the same in that regard, then the shift shouldn't matter, at least on that point (there might be other reasons you don't like it).

Ankari

Hero Breaker
After rereading my post, I realized that it was confusing. What I mean by "past" is a story set in a time before the current. Such as a story set in 1829.

Agran Velion

Minstrel
At the very worst it would throw me off for a few chapters, but it is highly possible I wouldn't notice it. As Benjamin said, as long as the prose style is good, it wouldn't bother me.

I was halfway through The Hunger Games before I noticed that it was in the present tense.

...wait, The Hunger Games is in present tense? I'm not joking, I had no idea.

Claire

Scribe
Just adding another opinion... I do think I would notice, but if the book is written well and it works with the flow of the story, I think it would be fine. I'm picky about how an author handles POV shifts (I guess we all have our "thing" that rubs us wrong), but as long as it is clear the POV is shifting, along with the tense shift, it could work - no mid-scene jumping between characters and tenses.

shangrila

Inkling
It might be weird to start with, but then I found the first person perspective of the Black Company books at first. You can pretty much get used to anything with enough time.

And, as people have said, just try it. If it isn't working...eh. Just re-write it. No problemo.