• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Favorite Game of Thrones Characters

Philip Overby

Staff
Article Team
Some characters have sort of taken the forefront since watching the TV show over the books. In the books, my favorite is undeniably Tyrion. But recently, watching the TV show, Sandor Clegane is hands-down the coolest character on that show. Are there any characters that you like more because of the TV show?

T.Allen.Smith

Staff
I like Bronn better in the show than I did in the books. Admittedly he does play a slightly larger role in the show.

I liked Davos better in the book but only slightly. I think that has to do a lot with Davos's internal struggles that may be hard to depict on screen.

Everyone else seems pretty even from book to screen....

Favorites:
Tyrion
Jon Snow
Tywin (he's just a hard ass)
Peter Baelish (Littlefinger - conniving little turd but cunning)

Honestly it'd be easier to name the characters I not like.... Joffrey, Brianne

Last edited:
Jaime Lannister. They've made him a bit more sympathetic than in the book, and a little funnier. I realize that his arc in books 1-3 is a fan favorite, but I still like what they're doing with the character.

SlimShady

Troubadour
All of those are my favorites from the show:

Jon Snow
Arya
Tywin
Tyrion
Bronn
Stannis
Margaery Tyrell (Liked her better in the show than in the book.)
Maester Luwin
Eddard Stark
Varys

Favorites from the book:

Jon Snow
Eddard Stark
Tyrion
Stannis
Davos Seaworth (A whole lot better in the book)
Arya (Probably my favorite character tbh.)
Robert Baratheon
Bronn

FireBird

Troubadour
Some characters transfered much better into the show than others. The only ones who are equally good in both are Tyrion and Arya, although I really wish they had included Arya's last scene in A Clash of Kings in the show.

Bronn, Sandor, Cersei, Jamie, Tywin, Varys, Viserys and Robb are much better in the show than the books for me, while Catelyn and Ned are much better in the books. I can't really judge Jon or Daenerys yet since they haven't had their chances to shine.

I also equally hate Joffery in both.

Steerpike

Felis amatus
I haven't seen the show.

Arya is my favorite character in the books. I also like Tyrion and Jaime both, to an extent, as characters.

robertbevan

Troubadour
tyrion, arya, and littlefinger are my favorites in both the hbo series and in the books.

tyrion is just impossible not to like. it's fun to watch him manipulate people. but it's also interesting (and a little sad) to see how much effort he puts into trying to do what's right by his family.

arya is a fun adventure story.

littlefinger is a slimeball. i love him.

I <3 Littlefinger too, even though he's a scheming jackass; so far, he's one of the few characters in ASOIAF who always gets what he wants. Everyone else gets thwarted occasionally, but not him!

FireBird

Troubadour
Bronn has only moved up the social ladder as well. I think they are the only ones who have had only good things happen to them.

squishybug87

Minstrel
some names I didn't get, but I like Arya, Tyrion, the prostitute from Winterfell that made it to Kings Landing (never can remember her name) and the Wildling woman that looked after Bronn.

For some reason I'm very intrigued by The Hound. He's the perfect grey character to me. He's your typical brutal soldier but his tenderness towards Sansa and his fear of fire really intrigued me. It also gives me something to think about when creating my character's personalities. Maybe it was the mother in me, but that scene where he was scared out of his wits because of the fire during that battle and the reason why made me want to give him a huge hug. I want to read the actual books to see how Martin handles his character.

I don't like the Queen, I think she needs to be hit by a bus. However, when you think about her marriage with Robert and how much she loved him, I can't help but feel sorry for her. She had to constantly live up to a dead woman, who also happened to be Robert's true love. She didn't stand a chance, so you can't help but feel sympathy for her.

Arrya's assassin friend is another intriguing character. I really look forward to seeing how he is developed in the next season.

JonSnow

Troubadour
Considering some characters are more prominent in the show than they were in the book, and vice versa, it's hard to make a perfect list. But here is mine:

1. Ned Stark- It took me 5 years to get over his demise before I could bring myself to reading the second book. I was so pissed at G. R.R. Martin for a long time...
2. Jon Snow
3. Arya
4. Tyrion - some of the best one liners in history
5. Jaime Lannister- didn't "like" him, but enjoyed his character immensely
6. Jorah Mormont- not so much in the book, but he's a lot more prominent in the HBO show.
7. Khal Drogo- great dichotomy... rough, brutal tribal leader with an incredible soft spot for Danaerys... of course, most of my favorite characters never survive long :)
8. Varys- this is the character I am most envious that I DIDN'T create... absolutely brilliant. you never know who's side he's on (besides his own)... at times, you even think he is a "good" person when he's conversing with Tyrion.

Last edited:

JonSnow

Troubadour
some names I didn't get, but I like Arya, Tyrion, the prostitute from Winterfell that made it to Kings Landing (never can remember her name) and the Wildling woman that looked after Bronn.

For some reason I'm very intrigued by The Hound. He's the perfect grey character to me. He's your typical brutal soldier but his tenderness towards Sansa and his fear of fire really intrigued me. It also gives me something to think about when creating my character's personalities. Maybe it was the mother in me, but that scene where he was scared out of his wits because of the fire during that battle and the reason why made me want to give him a huge hug. I want to read the actual books to see how Martin handles his character.

I don't like the Queen, I think she needs to be hit by a bus. However, when you think about her marriage with Robert and how much she loved him, I can't help but feel sorry for her. She had to constantly live up to a dead woman, who also happened to be Robert's true love. She didn't stand a chance, so you can't help but feel sympathy for her.

Arrya's assassin friend is another intriguing character. I really look forward to seeing how he is developed in the next season.

The show is great...the books are better. Reading the books will actually make you appreciate the show more, as you will realize HOW MUCH they had to do with so little time on screen. It will also enrich your understanding of many peripheral characters like Bronn, The Hound, Jacquen (Arya's face-changing assassin), Jorah Mormont, Sam Tarley, and many others that the show didn't have time to focus on.

Sieryn

Dreamer
Shocking that no one put Daenerys in their top list, I've had her on death watch for two books...much to my disappointment :(

I love the way little finger is portrayed as well, looking forward to his creepy hitting on Sansa. Cersei, Tyrion are home runs obviously. Jon Snow was always kinda blah for me, he's better on TV. In contrast, I find myself liking Cat Stark less since the TV show, I just don't think she was cast very well.

SlimShady

Troubadour
Shocking that no one put Daenerys in their top list, I've had her on death watch for two books...much to my disappointment :(

I love the way little finger is portrayed as well, looking forward to his creepy hitting on Sansa. Cersei, Tyrion are home runs obviously. Jon Snow was always kinda blah for me, he's better on TV. In contrast, I find myself liking Cat Stark less since the TV show, I just don't think she was cast very well.

Damn! I forgot Daenarys. She is easily one of my favorite characters in both the show and book. Although. she still has nothing on Arya.

Philip Overby

Staff
Article Team
I like Daenarys on the show more than in the book. Sometimes I felt myself groaning in the last book when it got to her chapters. A lot of the stuff in her chapters was pretty good, but I don't know, just left me wanting to go to another chapter. I like Jon Snow better on the show as well. I have to agree on Cat Stark. Not my favorite character in the book, but I just imagined her different. The actress that plays her is very good, but I don't know.

I'm interested to see how they're going to deal with a lot of casting decisions later on. I won't post spoilers, but there are a lot more interesting characters coming up later.

T.Allen.Smith

Staff
Phil the Drill said:
I have to agree on Cat Stark. Not my favorite character in the book, but I just imagined her different. The actress that plays her is very good, but I don't know.

I agree. From my view I think it has a lot to do with the jealousy theme underscoring Littlefinger's actions. It's his childhood obsession with Cat that drives a lot of his devious plots. Although I love the Littlefinger character I think a prettier actress portraying Cat would have made his actions more acceptable. After all, Sansa is supposed to be a great beauty that takes after her mother but on the screen there's a huge difference in physical attractiveness.

I like Cat more in the books than in the show. Nothing against Michelle Fairley, but she's just a total downer. At least in the books I could sympathize with Cat; in the show, she's a killjoy. ;)

FireBird

Troubadour
I like Cat more in the books than in the show. Nothing against Michelle Fairley, but she's just a total downer. At least in the books I could sympathize with Cat; in the show, she's a killjoy. ;)

Well in the books she is just a better character. Michelle Fairley does a great portrayal, but she doesn't have much to work with. In the books all Cat wants to do is keep her children alive and go home, while in the show she is all about revenge immediately. It's like they skipped an entire section of her character developement. Her actions are much more believable in the books as well.

The same goes for Ned. There is absolutely nothing about his dreams or sudden recollections in the show, which are important to the character and a certain piece of backstory the fans have speculated about for years. Ned was a haunted man in the books and I didn't see that in the show.