• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

It Is Here That We Begin Our Story

Hello All,

Where does one begin to tell a story? An introduction is traditional
for the reader including you and myself to the setting, the plot, and most of
all the characters. The setting from where you are-the Mystic Scribe forum.
My setting currently, North Carolina, the United States. The reasoning for
this post to simply put it like many of you, I wish to be a writer, but lies at
a beginning lead to a faultering foundation later. To be honest, the desire to
become a famous and wealthy author such as J.K. Rowling has crossed my
mind many times, and it continues to plague it even now. But when I stop
to truly think of why I want to write stories, mainly fantasy, I return to those
dreams and illusions that appear before me at night, in daylight, and the times
in between where the lines between daydreams and regular dreams are blurred.
I see a girl who has married Death under poor circumstances and conquers him
with the help of a flower. I've dreamt of a dwarf as frugal as a lion willing to share
his kill. I've also seen a young man (not myself I assure you) argue with a portrait
in the middle of an empty room thinking that the painting refuses to come off the
wall it hangs on. These stories and countless others fill my mind, and all I can do
is write the general idea of them down to work on later. The problem is is that it
seems that I never attempt to make the time to actually write them. This is due to
several factors including a critical eye pointed at myself and my writing and laziness.
This leads us to the third point, an introduction of the characters, and the first character
that we shall meet is me, James Aycock, but you may call me Bradley a.k.a. the Dreamer
or the Story Peddler. I haven't always wanted to be a writer. It all started during my time
in college. I began to have ideas for fairy tales that, in my eyes, were specifically American
with Southern tendencies. These short stories opened the flood gates of my imagination
to bigger stories involving chapters and dare I say it-books. From that point on, I've tried
to write my stories down while attempting to become a better writer. I can tell there is a
difference in my writing now than what it was a year ago, but I have a ways to go. My
dreams and aspirations are the same as most writers, get published, but by experiencing
the joys of world-building, character development, plot, and other ideas, my ideals have
changed. What I want is to enjoy writing as a hobby, as an avocation instead of a vocation.
I want to emmerse myself within the story because that is what storytelling and fantasy are
for me, a means of escape. I also want my stories to be a way for you to escape as well to
relieve you of all the worries and stresses of this world even for a few minutes (why people
read nonfiction, I will never know). Finally, I want to become friends with all of you as fellow
writers and as human beings. Although, we may write fantasy to leave this world maybe the
reason we receive our ideas in the first place is to have a subject of conversation. As C.S.
Lewis once said,"Friendship is born at that moment when one person says to another: "What!
You too? I thought I was the only one.”. I hope to talk to you all soon.

Hello there.

Your ideas sound very interesting. I find if I tighten up a good idea into the bare bones of a plot, it's easier to write it out. It's so much more difficult to finish a story if, when you start, you haven't the faintest idea of where you're going (now there are exceptions to this rule, of course).

One little thing I'd ask you, and I don't mean to sound rude when I ask it -- please, I really don't and I'm asking just for myself, really -- could you break longer posts into paragraphs? It just makes them easier to read and enjoy! Thanks and I hope you enjoy it here! I know I am :)

Thank you so much for your insight. Also, I will be sure to separate my posts into paragraphs.
I can see now how one long post can be strenuous to one reading. Thanks once again for
your advice.

You're welcome! I speak from experience. I've laboured for a long, long time on an idea and a manuscript of about 100,000 words that just won't work because I didn't start out with a good idea of my plot. Looking forward to reading your posts!

Ghost

Inkling
I see a girl who has married Death under poor circumstances and conquers him
with the help of a flower. I've dreamt of a dwarf as frugal as a lion willing to share
his kill. I've also seen a young man (not myself I assure you) argue with a portrait
in the middle of an empty room thinking that the painting refuses to come off the
wall it hangs on.
Oh boy, I'd love to read these. :biggrin:

From that point on, I've tried
to write my stories down while attempting to become a better writer.

I'm in that stage as well. I know my aesthetic but haven't reached the level where I can do it justice. We'll keep trying, right?

I look forward to seeing your input on the forum. Welcome to the forum, TheStoryPeddler!

Thank you so much, Ghost. I would be glad to share these stories with this you and this forum!
Thanks again for your input.