• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Am your Huckleberry!

Nick

Acolyte
oh hey,

I'm Nick. I see there's a couple people here from other writing forums I know too.

let's see, a little about me... I'm a 31 year old father of 3 daughters and I like to write when i'm not doing my day job of a NYC Correction Officer.

I'm currently working on a novel I am super excited about. I'd started it about 5 or 6 years ago, wrote 3 chapters and then put it down. And about 2 months ago I dusted it off and I'm currently working on the 6th chapter. I seem to have fallen in love with writing again so much that I've gone ahead and applied for US trademark on the title and even registered the domain name. I know it's probably just me being pretentious since I'm unpublished and know relatively nothing about the industry but dammit, I believe in my writing - and isn't that worth something? Don't you have to believe in something to hope to inspire others with your work?

Okay what else.... Well I can't think of anything right now but feel free to ask me anything, or, just go ahead and ignore me if my upbeat attitude rubs you the wrong way.

I joined this forum in particular because it seems to specialize in fantasy (and by fantasy I hope that includes sci fi ) and while I do frequent another writing forum it seems the majority of the focus there is on poetry - not that I don't like poetry or anything... okay, i'm lying, i don't like poetry...very much. I can live with it, but I think I'm looking for a place more like this one where the focus is more on the art of story telling - though that's only my general assumption.

also the word wrap on this text box is really freaky. And I think I like that.

TWErvin2

Auror
Nick,

Glad you joined up and looking forward to getting you know you. I too write SF as well as fantasy--and horror/suspense and inspirational. Poetry and romance, not my things.

Hope to cross paths with you on the boards here.

Terry

Black Dragon

Staff
Administrator
Welcome Nick!

I'm a father with a daughter, and I know how challenging it can be to balance family time with writing. It's great that you believe in your writing. A lot of people fail simply because they give up on themselves.

And yes, science fiction is welcome here. There's a lot of overlap between the genres, and the distinction between the two is mostly artificial.

Nick

Acolyte
hey guys, thanks for the welcome.

do we have any published writers here in this community?

Hi Nick. Welcome!

I think there are two published authors here. Happily (perhaps luckily), I am one of them. But, I can't speak for everyone else. I do think that there is one other published novelist in here, and from what I gather, many of us have had short publications as well. My first novel was release May 1 and I have a non-fiction piece due for release in the spring.

Nick

Acolyte
Hi Nick. Welcome!

I think there are two published authors here. Happily (perhaps luckily), I am one of them. But, I can't speak for everyone else. I do think that there is one other published novelist in here, and from what I gather, many of us have had short publications as well. My first novel was release May 1 and I have a non-fiction piece due for release in the spring.

awesome!

i may pick your brain from time to time about the industry - if that's okay? is there a link to your novel here somewhere? i looked in your profile but couldn't find one.

My novel is called Firesoul. You can look up Firesoul by Frank LaVoie on Amazon or other online retailer. Also, feel free to check my website at www.frank-lavoie. com

Feel free to post or PM me whenever and I'll do my best to help if I can.

TWErvin2

Auror
hey guys, thanks for the welcome.

do we have any published writers here in this community?

Nick,

New members are joining all the time. The best thing to do is to check the signature at the bottom of a member's posts, and in their profile, check their homepage.

If you follow the link in my signature, you can find information on my published works. Really, most authors tend to be low key on this forum and a lot of others as continuous blatant self promotion in forums is generally frowned upon. (I certainly wouldn't consider what Map the Dragon did as BSP as you specifically asked)

Don't hesitate to pick brains via PMs or ask questions in the forums. Even though some folks here haven't been published yet, they're certain to have had a variety of experiences and are pretty sharp.

Terry