• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

What do you think?

Erimeh

Acolyte
In some book before the chapter number there is a little blurb (You have a child and her grandparents have raised her...Chapter 2), what is your opinion on them? Do you feel they detract or add to a story?

I don't understand what you're asking.

I have a novel where every chapter has a "Wherein" thing--for example, chapter one is "WHEREIN the Woods, Noting Our Hero's Sudden Departure, Resolve to Give Chase"--because I thought it was amusing and sort of helped set the stage for The Thing in each chapter. Some people don't like that, I think it can work just fine depending on how its done.

TWErvin2

Auror
Some authors have used quotes, or excerpts from fictional diaries, etc.

My first novel, I have what I call chapter starts, that run along a separate storyline from Chapter 2 until about 2/3 of the way through the novel, when the secondary storyline merges with the primary storyline.

So, a blurb can work. It depends on the content of the blurbs and how they mesh with the story. Well concieved and well done, it works and adds to the story's quality. Poorly done, it detracts.

Erimeh

Acolyte
Thats what I was trying to get at. In my book they are diary entries that preface what's going to happen in that chapter.

Sieryn

Dreamer
One of my favorites (RA Salvatore) does this sparingly with Drizzt. If done well, this can really add personality to your story.